What's Your Go-To Summer Daypack?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
Just curious what folks are using for day-tripping in the summer.

I just picked up a Mountainsmith Scream 25 daypack and love it. Big enough for everything I need yet smaller, lighter and easier to use than my old 45L Gregory Z Pack.

What's on your back this summer for day hiking?

Last edited:
I have had an Osprey Talon 22 for the last 10 years. It has enough room for everything I need for a day hike.

My go-to pack as well. Received it as a gift for being in wedding a few years back - it's gotten much use since then!

The 30 liter MEC Brio Crag lined with a trash compactor bag. It is 18 years old, seemingly indestructible, and I think I paid $35 for it brand-new. I haven't used it for backcountry skiing for years, but it's stood up to ski edges, crampons, carrying mattocks and other trail crew tools, and bushwhacking through blowdowns and dense spruce. It's the perfect size for my day-hiking kit, but I've used it for light-weight overnights.

I have a Serratus Genie, which is a frameless 30L pack similar to Scream 25.

Depends on the hike. I'm in a fanny back for anything south of Monadnock, if weather is possible/probable, I'll tie my shell around my waist. It's unlikely I'm going someplace south of there where I am needing a map and compass or someplace I've not been several times.

Still hanging on to my beaten up broken EMS 2500, most of the compression straps and the waist strap have one part of the buckle broken. I have another lighter used 2500 as I bought his and hers back in the 90's and the hers was lightly used. I can't move my additional water outdoor pocket though as it's rusted on mine. I have a 20 mile rail trail walk this weekend, not sure what I will bring, the fanny packs only take two liters of water, I could wear a camelback, however, water that has been on my back for several hours in the sun is not a pleasing refreshing thought. (I guess I could drink that early and freeze my water bottles so they are liquid by the time the Camelback is either empty or warm.)

I'll keep an eye out for clearance deals for now.

attachment.php

The Osprey Family :) 48 Kestrel, 40 Stratos, 22 Talon, 11 Talon

Tim

Attachments

• IMG_2717.jpg
    IMG_2717.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 537
Gossamer Gear Minimalist 24 is awesome for shorter trips; ULA Vector (35l) for longer days, winter, and shorter backpacking trips; ULA Circuit.

I have a ton of others in the closet that I never touch because none of them fir my 6'4" frame, though they're otherwise all great packs: Atmos 50; Exos 34; Stratos (24L?); Daylite 13L; Raptor (14L?)...

Like TEO, I'm still using my ancient MEC pack, the yellow Brio 25. I will mourn when it dies, but it is holding up well after 20 years. I also had a Serratus 50, which I abused the heck out of, and it still lasted about 15 years.

Now when I shop, I'm looking at Deuter, mostly because I have access to a good discount, and the packs are pretty good. Tried Osprey a couple times, but did not like the buckle designs and the poor access to the compartments, at least on the models I had.

I find the trick with a daypack is to get one big enough to carry what you really need but not so big that you end bringing everything but the kitchen sink. For me that works out to 20-25 liters except in the winter, but everyone is different.

HMG daybreak for the past 4 years. Nice size and carries well.

Attachments

• 25CBDAC7-8F40-44B8-9CCA-26F68D0783CC.jpg
    25CBDAC7-8F40-44B8-9CCA-26F68D0783CC.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 74
Osprey Manta 28, fits a lot, for a small pack, like all ospreys, I love the structure, backwebbing, pockets, etc, as always I find the buckles a little small, but love their packs overall

Jandd Zoor Alpinist.

Nearly 20 years old. A few repaired ski slashes but honestly indestructible.

Not mine but gives the idea...

Zoor.jpg

Attachments

• Zoor.jpg
    Zoor.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Osprey Stratos 24, saw an ad on Craigslist a few years ago and drove over an hour to pick it up in Maine for $50....3 years old but brand new, guy had bought it but never used it. Best pack I've ever owned.

Jandd Zoor Alpinist.

Nearly 20 years old. A few repaired ski slashes but honestly indestructible.

Dave M., my mid-sized pack for multi-day hiking and skiing is the Zoor's bigger brother, the Keshet Alpinist, although Jandd calls it a "full-sized pack." Like your Zoor, it is about 20 years old and bomber. There's a good chance that it will be the only mid-sized pack I'll ever own.

Dave M., my mid-sized pack for multi-day hiking and skiing is the Zoor's bigger brother, the Keshet Alpinist, although Jandd calls it a "full-sized pack." Like your Zoor, it is about 20 years old and bomber. There's a good chance that it will be the only mid-sized pack I'll ever own.

Hey, that's pretty cool. It's not a brand one sees out here much. I would be curious to know how you found it. Perhaps Pagocycle? Was that the shop that used to downtown?

I heard about them in the early 90s from bike bags and panniers. Their super large seat pack is one of the best bike accessories ever.

My wife and I lived in Monterey CA for a bit and a shop in Pacific Grove carried them. My old Sacs Millet was worn beyond repair so Ingot the Zoor. It's been a sturdy work horse. My son is slowly taking it over, as he does some local trail work and is a bit rough on stuff.

I can't recommend their larger packs. Just not up to to the task in terms of suspension.

Can't believe anybody out here would own a Jandd. Super interested to know the story.

Hey, that's pretty cool. It's not a brand one sees out here much. I would be curious to know how you found it.

I picked mine up at Outdoor Gear Exchange, when it was on Cherry Street. I have one of their saddle bags, that I picked up later.