Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Go-To Summer Daypack?

What's Your Go-To Summer Daypack?

Just curious what folks are using for day-tripping in the summer.

I just picked up a Mountainsmith Scream 25 daypack and love it. Big enough for everything I need yet smaller, lighter and easier to use than my old 45L Gregory Z Pack.

What's on your back this summer for day hiking?
    Last edited by ChrisB; 04-28-2021 at 09:58 PM.
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

Mine is an Osprey Manta 28. Love it. Unfortunately, which something I hate about these companies, they don't make this size anymore. Now it's either a 24 or 34. I find the 28 is perfect for me. Could probably start a whole thread on companies the fix/change what ain't broken.

https://www.rei.com/product/895646/o...25-liters-mens
    Joe

Gossamer Gear Kumo.

I have had an Osprey Talon 22 for the last 10 years. It has enough room for everything I need for a day hike.
    NH 4K: 48/48, VT 4K: 5/5, NY 4K: 2/46

Quote Originally Posted by JToll View Post
    I have had an Osprey Talon 22 for the last 10 years. It has enough room for everything I need for a day hike.
    My go-to pack as well. Received it as a gift for being in wedding a few years back - it's gotten much use since then!

I've been using Deuter daypacks for over 15 years. My last is the Airlite 22, discontinued although I will use it for a couple more years. The AC Lite 23 looks similar: https://www.deuter.com/int-en/shop/b...ack-ac-lite-23

They are compact, have a sleeve for 3-liter hydration, a rain fly, and a mesh back that really helps in the summer.

The 30 liter MEC Brio Crag lined with a trash compactor bag. It is 18 years old, seemingly indestructible, and I think I paid $35 for it brand-new. I haven't used it for backcountry skiing for years, but it's stood up to ski edges, crampons, carrying mattocks and other trail crew tools, and bushwhacking through blowdowns and dense spruce. It's the perfect size for my day-hiking kit, but I've used it for light-weight overnights.

I have a Serratus Genie, which is a frameless 30L pack similar to Scream 25.

Depends on the hike. I'm in a fanny back for anything south of Monadnock, if weather is possible/probable, I'll tie my shell around my waist. It's unlikely I'm going someplace south of there where I am needing a map and compass or someplace I've not been several times.

Still hanging on to my beaten up broken EMS 2500, most of the compression straps and the waist strap have one part of the buckle broken. I have another lighter used 2500 as I bought his and hers back in the 90's and the hers was lightly used. I can't move my additional water outdoor pocket though as it's rusted on mine. I have a 20 mile rail trail walk this weekend, not sure what I will bring, the fanny packs only take two liters of water, I could wear a camelback, however, water that has been on my back for several hours in the sun is not a pleasing refreshing thought. (I guess I could drink that early and freeze my water bottles so they are liquid by the time the Camelback is either empty or warm.)

I'll keep an eye out for clearance deals for now.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

The Osprey Family 48 Kestrel, 40 Stratos, 22 Talon, 11 Talon

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2717.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	6648  
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Gossamer Gear Minimalist 24 is awesome for shorter trips; ULA Vector (35l) for longer days, winter, and shorter backpacking trips; ULA Circuit.

I have a ton of others in the closet that I never touch because none of them fir my 6'4" frame, though they're otherwise all great packs: Atmos 50; Exos 34; Stratos (24L?); Daylite 13L; Raptor (14L?)...
    Add life to your years!

Like TEO, I'm still using my ancient MEC pack, the yellow Brio 25. I will mourn when it dies, but it is holding up well after 20 years. I also had a Serratus 50, which I abused the heck out of, and it still lasted about 15 years.

Now when I shop, I'm looking at Deuter, mostly because I have access to a good discount, and the packs are pretty good. Tried Osprey a couple times, but did not like the buckle designs and the poor access to the compartments, at least on the models I had.

I find the trick with a daypack is to get one big enough to carry what you really need but not so big that you end bringing everything but the kitchen sink. For me that works out to 20-25 liters except in the winter, but everyone is different.
    NH 4K: 48/48, VT 4K: 5/5, NY 4K: 2/46

HMG daybreak for the past 4 years. Nice size and carries well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25CBDAC7-8F40-44B8-9CCA-26F68D0783CC.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	6649  
    NH48Winter 48/48, NE67 67/67, ADK46 3/46

Osprey Manta 28, fits a lot, for a small pack, like all ospreys, I love the structure, backwebbing, pockets, etc, as always I find the buckles a little small, but love their packs overall