Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At Large Kayak Camping - Is There Such A Thing?

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Hey now! I didn't say I agreed with her...But it does make me laugh recalling it.
    It depends on what creature comforts you want. Me and a partner can paddle a boat with 50-90 pounds of gear (canoe) in it all day downstream and across a lake without a stiff wind in our face with no more than shoulders that felt like they got a lot of exercise. In a 30 MPH head wind, I would have preferred the walking. If there's a 10.5 mile walk on one day, that's another story too.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

There is no developed camping on the shoreline, but Somerset Reservoir in the Green Mt. NF is one of the finest waterbodies I ever paddled on, there is almost no human development visible when you are on the lake. When I saw your question it immediately came to mind, but I could not remember if any camping was allowed, and a quick look up confirms No. Looking into it I did find this story, https://paddling.com/paddle/trips/so...ervoir-vermont and found mention of an undeveloped camping area described on an adjacent forest road. Maybe 20 years ago I used to paddle there and drive/explore those roads quite often, and I can't remember seeing this camping area and find no more specific references. My other thought was you could pull ashore and walk into the USFS boundary and primitive camp according to their rules (which may be prohibited?).

It really is a fine waterbody nonetheless and deserves a visit even if just for the day. I always solo-canoed there and would spend all day battling into the wind to access the 2 narrower bays to the northwest; always to no avail as it would eventually be too late to continue further, and caution would return me to the launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    There is no developed camping on the shoreline, but Somerset Reservoir in the Green Mt. NF is one of the finest waterbodies I ever paddled on, there is almost no human development visible when you are on the lake. When I saw your question it immediately came to mind, but I could not remember if any camping was allowed, and a quick look up confirms No. Looking into it I did find this story, https://paddling.com/paddle/trips/so...ervoir-vermont and found mention of an undeveloped camping area described on an adjacent forest road. Maybe 20 years ago I used to paddle there and drive/explore those roads quite often, and I can't remember seeing this camping area and find no more specific references. My other thought was you could pull ashore and walk into the USFS boundary and primitive camp according to their rules (which may be prohibited?).

It really is a fine waterbody nonetheless and deserves a visit even if just for the day. I always solo-canoed there and would spend all day battling into the wind to access the 2 narrower bays to the northwest; always to no avail as it would eventually be too late to continue further, and caution would return me to the launch.
    I'll have to keep it in mind. I really want to get out there in the middle of nowhere, even if I have to concede to camping in some sort of established campground. I'm finally the need to "get off the grid" in my hiking, camping and paddling pursuits this year.
    “Sometimes when you’ve lost something in your life that matters, the only thing left to do is go and find it.” Renan Ozturk

I have a camp on Nicatous Lake, northeast of Bangor. There are about a dozen official campsites on the lake. There are also several lakes in the area that are included in the Duck Lake Public Lands, that also have nice designated sites. These lakes are all fairly remote, while still moderately accessible. The sites are first-come, but most have room for more than one group. The Delorme printed Maine map shows the locations.
    It's a lot like fun, but different.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    I have a camp on Nicatous Lake, northeast of Bangor. There are about a dozen official campsites on the lake. There are also several lakes in the area that are included in the Duck Lake Public Lands, that also have nice designated sites. These lakes are all fairly remote, while still moderately accessible. The sites are first-come, but most have room for more than one group. The Delorme printed Maine map shows the locations.
    Excellent. Thanks. Bangor is only about 4h 15m from me so that is a reasonable drive. And I could possibly link it up to weeks when we travel to Baxter on vacation.
    “Sometimes when you’ve lost something in your life that matters, the only thing left to do is go and find it.” Renan Ozturk

Some other areas not already discussed:

Pillsbury State Park in New Hampshire. A couple of remote sites across the small pond.

Main kayak locations in the Vermont State Park system are: Green River Reservoir in Hyde Park. Only remote water accessible sites. Human or electric powered boats only. Burton, Woods, and Knights Island in North Lake Champlain. Burton is only a hundred yards from the shore. Burton has mix of people that have paddled, taken the people ferry across or used their boat to reach the island and docked it at the marina. Woods and Knights are primitive sites that are well separated but have long exposed crossing on the lake. Woods is more remote. Knights sites can have lentos. Both have perimeter hiking paths around the island. Little River State Park in Waterbury also has water only access remote camping.

Laws Island , Lake Champlain in Colchester, VT. Primitive site. Vermont Sports had an article on fat biking to the island this winter over the ice and winter camping.

Valcor Island, Lake Champlain south of Plattsburg, NY. Primitive sites that are free and non-reservable. Crossing from boat launch is somewhat sheltered. Sites along eastern shore are exposed to the main Lake. Most sites have sandy beaches. Mix of paddlers and boaters.
    Last edited by briarpatch; 05-05-2021 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Add Little River State Park

Surprised now one has mentioned remote kayak camping at the Lonesome Lake Hut. The paddle back and forth across the lake would be amazing. The carry from the trailhead to lake might be bit adventuresome. Would make a great trip report.

For ocean-going kayaks, there is this:

https://mita.org/trail/

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Surprised now one has mentioned remote kayak camping at the Lonesome Lake Hut. The paddle back and forth across the lake would be amazing. The carry from the trailhead to lake might be bit adventuresome. Would make a great trip report.
    That's a pretty comprehensive list to research. Thanks!