My letter to Baxter State Park>>>>

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpencerVT

Reaction score
I have been a frequent hiking visitor to the park for quite a few years. I am writing with concerns regarding your staff. Some folks on your staff are ornery and seem like they do not want to be there. I have definitely encountered some staff whom are wonderful and friendly; however some of the other employees we have interfaced with evoke an unpleasant lack of friendliness which is really off-putting to users of the park.

I fully respect that there are rules, management regulations, and that their jobs can be difficult. It’s not about that. It’s really about that these staff do not even say “Welcome To Baxter State Park” upon arrival. Instead, they almost treat visitors like a nuisance. The tone, demeanor and behavior of some of your park staff more accurately reflect a State Trooper who has pulled someone over for doing something wrong, rather than an ambassador for the outdoors at a wonderful Maine State Park.

As mentioned, my wife and I have encountered some very welcoming and helpful personnel in our hikes there. However, some of the other staff act curmudgeonly and quite unfriendly. Baxter State Park is one of the most wonderful and beautiful natural areas anywhere, and it is my hope that you will take this letter to heart and address these issues with your staff. It would be so nice to hear “Welcome to Baxter State Park” upon arrival instead of the current cold, unwelcoming demeanor manifested by some of your staff. I appreciate your time and consideration.

Strange, I normally find the gate house attendants in summer quite pleasant. Considering they work in perpetual dust cloud from vehicle traffic they have always been friendly to me. I rarely if ever see an actual ranger but my interactions have been pleasant with a few staff going out of their way.

I have been a frequent hiking visitor to the park for quite a few years. I am writing with concerns regarding your staff. Some folks on your staff are ornery and seem like they do not want to be there. I have definitely encountered some staff whom are wonderful and friendly; however some of the other employees we have interfaced with evoke an unpleasant lack of friendliness which is really off-putting to users of the park.

I fully respect that there are rules, management regulations, and that their jobs can be difficult. It’s not about that. It’s really about that these staff do not even say “Welcome To Baxter State Park” upon arrival. Instead, they almost treat visitors like a nuisance. The tone, demeanor and behavior of some of your park staff more accurately reflect a State Trooper who has pulled someone over for doing something wrong, rather than an ambassador for the outdoors at a wonderful Maine State Park.

As mentioned, my wife and I have encountered some very welcoming and helpful personnel in our hikes there. However, some of the other staff act curmudgeonly and quite unfriendly. Baxter State Park is one of the most wonderful and beautiful natural areas anywhere, and it is my hope that you will take this letter to heart and address these issues with your staff. It would be so nice to hear “Welcome to Baxter State Park” upon arrival instead of the current cold, unwelcoming demeanor manifested by some of your staff. I appreciate your time and consideration.

Ha..state employee's. Can't get fired unless drunk on the job or other unusual situations. Better yet maybe temp state workers without benifits or working for a company hired by the state to run some aspects of the park.

I'll be eager to see what the reply is from the State of ME to a non-resident.

I'll be eager to see what the reply is from the State of ME to a non-resident.

I would expect it to be similar to the reply a ME resident would get writing to complain about employees in a CT state park :rolleyes:

I would expect it to be similar to the reply a ME resident would get writing to complain about employees in a CT state park :rolleyes:

I'd think both states would have a prompt courteous interaction.... now,New Yorkers on the other hand.:D

Ha..state employee's. Can't get fired unless drunk on the job or other unusual situations. Better yet maybe temp state workers without benifits or working for a company hired by the state to run some aspects of the park.

The majority of state park workers in any of the northern New England states are seasonal part-time workers. There are only a handful of full-time, year-round, permanent state government jobs in state parks in any of the states.

It's common for parks workers at busy parks to get burned out by the public, and since they often have to deal with the worst that the public leaves behind, it's easy to cop an attitude towards visitors. It can be a difficult to stay fresh and bright, but any park worker should see this as a welcome professional challenge, and one that any new visitor deserves. It's what the work brings and should be expected.

Although one of the unique qualities of northern New Englanders is the grumpy old Yankee. Even if an interaction with such an individual might seem less than rosy - it might be a cultural experience we wouldn't want to lose. (Spencer my guess is this is not the only interaction type you are referring to). I managed staff at a number of park sites that all had their curmudgeons (including myself), and quite often had to field complaints about the cranky Yankee. It often including explaining unique personality types and trying to get the visitor to understand that people are challenging and different, then going to the employee and explaining the same thing.

I have had my own difficulties in Baxter with staff since I like to be out into darkness.

I guess its easier to throw mud then to do the research but BSP employees are not a typical state employee. BSP is an odd amalgam of state entity and a private trust. Percival Baxter set up the rules and the Deeds of Trust and then forced the state over multiple legislative sessions to acknowledge that the land and the associated significant trust fund that went with it would be managed in perpetuity by his rules to keep short term politics out of the operation.

A quote from the website may be helpful While Baxter State Park bears the name “State” it is separately administered, free from any connection with the larger State Park system (Bureau of Parks and Lands/Dept. of Conservation). The Baxter State Park Authority, a three-person authority consisting of the Attorney General, the Director of the Maine Forest Service and the Commissioner of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife, has full power in the control and management of the Park and in the exercise of all Trust obligations.

Practically in the long term the park is run by a "benevolent dictator", the BSP director. The authority makes broad policy decisions and hires the director but management of the park is by the director and his staff. Talking to staff and some fairly knowledgeable locals over the years, it takes a long time with a lot of vetting to become full time staff and many seasonal folks without the appropriate degrees and skills toil away as seasonal employees for years. Many folks gave up and usually end up in the regular state park system. The vast majority of staff that a typical visitor will meet are seasonal staff and there is no formal seniority system for the seasonal staff. Those who do a good job at a particular task are usually rehired for the same task or are recommended for new opportunities but its at the will of the park director. There is no union in place (unlike other parts of the state government). Talk to any seasonal employee and they are not doing it for the pay, the hours are long and they get minimal days off. The park has had a tough time filling the front country positions. Especially since the demise of the mills in the area, long term jobs with benefits are rare and competition for the few full time jobs is intense.

The new park director who was hired just a few years ago was young for the position and he had a steep learning curve. This article from a few years ago implies that he knew he had some learning to do https://bangordailynews.com/2019/10...bout-future-changes-in-maines-treasured-park/
The park spread a wide net for candidates around the country with high expectations and I am unsure if the current director was the first choice. The position was empty for several months before he was hired and his chief ranger who was filling the position left the park soon after he came on board. Its been speculated that the timing was not coincidental. The park hired the former manager of the AMC facilities in Maine as chief ranger to step in but there were two relative greenhorns in place in the spring a few years back and there were numerous comments that the parks well oiled machine was not that well oiled for that first summer. My guess is Covid really impacted the park and staffing last year. No doubt they didnt staff up early and the staff they did hire had to work differently. No doubt some folks were stressed.

One of the big things that first time or occasional visitors do is demonize the current administration of the park for decisions that Percival Baxter "cast in stone" in the Deeds of Trust and additional directives. Some things may be considered outdated and some may have some wiggle room (usually technologies that didnt exist) but the park commission usually goes back to the very well documented history of Percival Baxter to rationalize what his intent would have been. He was dead set against pets in the park despite being a dog lover thus the ban on pets in the park. Pet owners will rail at the unfairness of it but that is not going to change. The deeds are also very specific that the roads are primitive and will stay that way, when the park commission tried to improve the roads they were successfully sued by outside parties. Thus if you cant drive 50 MPH on the park roads and have to get up an hour or two early to get to a days destination, its not the current park staff, its Baxter's dead hand. He also put in place preference for Maine residents for reservations. The other thing that bugs folks is that everyone in the park has to be in official campsite or shelter at night. There is no option for camping in the rough. It there was the option, no doubt bootleg campsites would be built and some of the wildness would go away. The rangers are responsible for knowing where everyone is and they are the ones that have to head out all night if need be to track a unaccounted person down. This does not sit will with the AT thru hikers but its back to Baxter's dead hand.

Last edited:
No matter where I go, I expect a parade or at least something akin to everyone enthusiastically saying “Norm” when he walks into Cheers. Anything less is a disappointment.

Seriously though, I have never had an issue of any type with either the courteousness or professionalism of the staff I’ve encountered during my many visits to Baxter State Park. Of course, I was a State Trooper for 21 years of my life so my standard may be a bit different than that of the OP. :D

Last edited:
I guess its easier to throw mud then to do the research but BSP employees are not a typical state employee. BSP is an odd amalgam of state entity and a private trust. Percival Baxter set up the rules and the Deeds of Trust and then forced the state over multiple legislative sessions to acknowledge that the land and the associated significant trust fund that went with it would be managed in perpetuity by his rules to keep short term politics out of the operation.

A quote from the website may be helpful While Baxter State Park bears the name “State” it is separately administered, free from any connection with the larger State Park system (Bureau of Parks and Lands/Dept. of Conservation). The Baxter State Park Authority, a three-person authority consisting of the Attorney General, the Director of the Maine Forest Service and the Commissioner of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife, has full power in the control and management of the Park and in the exercise of all Trust obligations.

Practically in the long term the park is run by a "benevolent dictator", the BSP director. The authority makes broad policy decisions and hires the director but management of the park is by the director and his staff. Talking to staff and some fairly knowledgeable locals over the years, it takes a long time with a lot of vetting to become full time staff and many seasonal folks without the appropriate degrees and skills toil away as seasonal employees for years. Many folks gave up and usually end up in the regular state park system. The vast majority of staff that a typical visitor will meet are seasonal staff and there is no formal seniority system for the seasonal staff. Those who do a good job at a particular task are usually rehired for the same task or are recommended for new opportunities but its at the will of the park director. There is no union in place (unlike other parts of the state government). Talk to any seasonal employee and they are not doing it for the pay, the hours are long and they get minimal days off. The park has had a tough time filling the front country positions. Especially since the demise of the mills in the area, long term jobs with benefits are rare and competition for the few full time jobs is intense.

The new park director who was hired just a few years ago was young for the position and he had a steep learning curve. This article from a few years ago implies that he knew he had some learning to do https://bangordailynews.com/2019/10...bout-future-changes-in-maines-treasured-park/
The park spread a wide net for candidates around the country with high expectations and I am unsure if the current director was the first choice. The position was empty for several months before he was hired and his chief ranger who was filling the position left the park soon after he came on board. Its been speculated that the timing was not coincidental. The park hired the former manager of the AMC facilities in Maine as chief ranger to step in but there were two relative greenhorns in place in the spring a few years back and there were numerous comments that the parks well oiled machine was not that well oiled for that first summer. My guess is Covid really impacted the park and staffing last year. No doubt they didnt staff up early and the staff they did hire had to work differently. No doubt some folks were stressed.

One of the big things that first time or occasional visitors do is demonize the current administration of the park for decisions that Percival Baxter "cast in stone" in the Deeds of Trust and additional directives. Some things may be considered outdated and some may have some wiggle room (usually technologies that didnt exist) but the park commission usually goes back to the very well documented history of Percival Baxter to rationalize what his intent would have been. He was dead set against pets in the park despite being a dog lover thus the ban on pets in the park. Pet owners will rail at the unfairness of it but that is not going to change. The deeds are also very specific that the roads are primitive and will stay that way, when the park commission tried to improve the roads they were successfully sued by outside parties. Thus if you cant drive 50 MPH on the park roads and have to get up an hour or two early to get to a days destination, its not the current park staff, its Baxter's dead hand. He also put in place preference for Maine residents for reservations. The other thing that bugs folks is that everyone in the park has to be in official campsite or shelter at night. There is no option for camping in the rough. It there was the option, no doubt bootleg campsites would be built and some of the wildness would go away. The rangers are responsible for knowing where everyone is and they are the ones that have to head out all night if need be to track a unaccounted person down. This does not sit will with the AT thru hikers but its back to Baxter's dead hand.
Well summarized. I’m sure running the Honey Wagon could make oneself a bit cranky by September also.

Typically people whose job is facing and interacting with the public - the kid behind the counter at McDonalds, the nurse in the hospital, the cop who pulls you over and yes the employee in the public park - are going to tend to mirror the behavior/vibes they are getting. Before my first winter backpack at Baxter I had heard horror stories about the checkin process and getting the once over; likewise the gear check at Chimney Pond before you go off to do the Armadillo or equivalent, has a very bad reputation in climbers circles. But I personally sailed through both of those occasions several times and had enjoyable conversations with the rangers. You catch more flies with honey...

Public facing employees also tend to mirror the vibes they get from how they are treated by their own management. Treat your people badly, they will treat the customer badly. Treat your people well, they will treat the customer well.

Of course as in any "social science" assessment, there is extremely wide variation, and many unknown inputs...

Typically people whose job is facing and interacting with the public - the kid behind the counter at McDonalds, the nurse in the hospital, the cop who pulls you over and yes the employee in the public park - are going to tend to mirror the behavior/vibes they are getting. Before my first winter backpack at Baxter I had heard horror stories about the checkin process and getting the once over; likewise the gear check at Chimney Pond before you go off to do the Armadillo or equivalent, has a very bad reputation in climbers circles. But I personally sailed through both of those occasions several times and had enjoyable conversations with the rangers. You catch more flies with honey...
Most excellent! I have been frequenting BSP since the 70's. I have brought many fellow hikers and climbers in to the Park over the years for their first visit. Much of the time my partners have been resistant before a trip do to all the so called regulations. Every single one of them once arriving to the Park come to a quick realization why regulations are in place and then welcome the framework with open arms. Baxter is easy breezy compared to a lot of other places on the planet when it comes to toeing the line.

Whenever I do encounter friendly staff at Baxter, I am reminded that: "This is what it could be!"
I do not think it's unreasonable to expect staff at Baxter to have a welcoming demeanor instead of a cold, sour one.
The unwelcoming State Trooper vibe you sometimes get there does a disservice to the public and detracts from the greatness of what Baxter embodies.

The librarian at one school I went to growing up clearly did not like kids. And I always thought to myself: "Why the hell are you a librarian in a school if you don't like kids?!"
I don't like dogs (due to a bad experience I had growing up). I am not about to go work at the Humane Society. It would piss everyone off! I know better and would not want to bother pet owners, LOL.

If someone is breaking the rules, littering, being a pain in the ass at Baxter, then they thoroughly deserve an irritable attitude by the staff.
But if you're just arriving or walking to a trailhead innocently, you do not deserve the nuisance attitude by some of those park staff.
I have been to many, many parks and never have I experienced anything close to the orneriness of some of the Baxter staff.

Thread needs a healthy dose of State Troopers doing the State Trooper thing.

Maine State Trooper issues speeding ticket

I'd heard that was a staged training video showed at the State Police academy. Every time I've been pulled over by a state trooper, they've started off cranky, but lighten up a bit while they are writing up my ticket. I've gotten a lecture a time or two. Maybe I've deserved it, maybe not. I consider a fine paying for my privilege to drive as I want. I've noticed as I've grown older that I don't get pulled over as often. One silver haired gentleman told me once you get a certain age, you become invisible.

I'd heard that was a staged training video showed at the State Police academy. Every time I've been pulled over by a state trooper, they've started off cranky, but lighten up a bit while they are writing up my ticket. I've gotten a lecture a time or two. Maybe I've deserved it, maybe not. I consider a fine paying for my privilege to drive as I want. I've noticed as I've grown older that I don't get pulled over as often. One silver haired gentleman told me once you get a certain age, you become invisible.
Remind me if we ever decide to go hiking together to meet you at the trailhead.

I've been to Baxter I think 9 or 10 times now over the past 6 years and every experience except one was excellent. Last year at the North Gate the attendant asked if I had a gate/parking pass. I normally print out everything to have handy because they seem to have no connection to the reservation system there (I basically read all the information off my QR coded reservation to the guy). For some reason I did not have it and after some back and forth the guy said "Hey you know what? At some point we all have to trust each other" and gave me the pass with no evidence of purchase. And he was very polite and professional about it the whole time. All of my interactions with the gate staff, rangers and others has been excellent. Young and old alike.

My only bad experience was I believe the Summer of 2019 at Roaring Brook (of course with my wife who went for the first time based on my rantings about how amazing Baxter is). And the issue really wasn't rude employees. It was no employees. I don't think I saw a single person for my entire 4 day visit anywhere, including the ranger station. And the campground, outhouses, etc. were filthy. I believe this coincided with the appointment of a new director so I took it as a "one of", transitional aberration, and it appears like it was. Haven't had any issues since. I guess we'll see how it goes in August when I return.

I have never seen that video before, oh my God. That state trooper deserves a medal for his patience. I can't believe that dude didn't get arrested, he would have deserved it.

I have enjoyed Baxter since the early 80s. The first ten years or so the staffing was very consistent, especially the backcountry rangers, met the same ones every year and learned a lot from them.Since then the staff turns over frequently, I seem to meet new rangers every year, and often they have less knowledge/experience of the park beyond their specific station or location. That being said I have rarely encountered staff who were unpleasant or "cranky" A few bad days perhaps over 40 years is understandable. Love the park, understanding the strict regs are not for everyone, I can't wait to get back there this year after a covid miss last year.