My letter to Baxter State Park>>>>

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All Park employees wear name tags.
Without naming the person you're complaining about I doubt anyone spent more than a minute thinking about your letter.

Last edited:
we were "spoken to*" by a BSP Ranger a few years ago, while camping in a Roaring Brook lean-to ...

while we were there, two baby bears had been ransacking Roaring Brook area for several days ... we were relaxing at our site one afternoon when a baby bear appeared and jumped up on our picnic table ... two Rangers were running down a path in chase (felt like we were in a Yogi Bear movie), and the bear assessed that he had enough time to scout our site for food ... he knocked the top off our stove, then opened our cooler, then ran off into the woods ...

the Rangers approached us with a stunned look on their face, and asked why we didn't grab the bear ...

that seemed like an excellent suggestion, so i grabbed a beer from our cooler ... *turns out they were only looking after our best interests :cool:

we were "spoken to*" by a BSP Ranger a few years ago, while camping in a Roaring Brook lean-to ...

while we were there, two baby bears had been ransacking Roaring Brook area for several days ... we were relaxing at our site one afternoon when a baby bear appeared and jumped up on our picnic table ... two Rangers were running down a path in chase (felt like we were in a Yogi Bear movie), and the bear assessed that he had enough time to scout our site for food ... he knocked the top off our stove, then opened our cooler, then ran off into the woods ...

the Rangers approached us with a stunned look on their face, and asked why we didn't grab the bear ...

that seemed like an excellent suggestion, so i grabbed a beer from our cooler ... *turns out they were only looking after our best interests :cool:
Reminds me of the first time they let me in back in the 60’s or so. Everyone followed the rules. If you were nice they would let you come back in the Winter. But you better have good friends.

Reminds me of the first time they let me in back in the 60’s or so. Everyone followed the rules. If you were nice they would let you come back in the Winter. But you better have good friends.

After volunteering up there for longer periods of time I realized I could not work there. Dealing with some members of the public would be just too much.

Like the jerks who can't leave the family mutt at home and then plead the "Therapy Dog" defense at the gate. They get all nasty and argumentative when denied entry and tie up the line spewing bullishit and baloney at the gate person.

Then there's the drunks. I was surprised how many "campers" get loaded when the sun goes down. Once at Kidney Pond a visibly impaired guy showed up at the ranger cabin three times in an hour requesting a new mantel for his cabin's lantern. The ranger finally said no more and went over and installed the fourth mantel himself.

On the way he saw another drunk ripping branches off a small pine tree for a camp fire and confronted the guy who denied. When the ranger said "I just saw you do it" the guy admitted it. (Note: Fire wood is free.)

It's a long season up there. And unless you walk a mile in their boots I'd be hesitant to criticize them too much.

Firewood is no longer free, although there are no rules about picking up deadfall and bringing it back to camp. I usually bring my hand saw and find a pull out along the road and load up prior to heading back to camp.

After volunteering up there for longer periods of time I realized I could not work there. Dealing with some members of the public would be just too much.

Like the jerks who can't leave the family mutt at home and then plead the "Therapy Dog" defense at the gate. They get all nasty and argumentative when denied entry and tie up the line spewing bullishit and baloney at the gate person.

Then there's the drunks. I was surprised how many "campers" get loaded when the sun goes down. Once at Kidney Pond a visibly impaired guy showed up at the ranger cabin three times in an hour requesting a new mantel for his cabin's lantern. The ranger finally said no more and went over and installed the fourth mantel himself.

On the way he saw another drunk ripping branches off a small pine tree for a camp fire and confronted the guy who denied. When the ranger said "I just saw you do it" the guy admitted it. (Note: Fire wood is free.)

It's a long season up there. And unless you walk a mile in their boots I'd be hesitant to criticize them too much.

This brings back memories of my time working at a Florida State Park. "Interpreting" and protecting the park from the visitors was high priority. There was of course the ever present issue of the casual disposal of trash but what I recall most vividly was the need to protect the local fauna, especially the snakes, from the patrons. There were several species of non-venomous snakes including a brown water snake that resembled a water moccasin. You would think people would avoid a snake they thought (incorrectly) was venomous, but no, they hit them with sticks, threw stones at them and generally persecuted them no matter how often we tried to educate them (the patrons that is, not the snakes, although the comprehension rate was probably equivalent).

We also did have venomous snakes including the deadly coral snake which was present in small numbers. I found someone off trail one day rooting around with his bare hands in the forest detritus. He told me he had just seen the prettiest snake and was looking for it. I told him he should be glad that he did not find it and even happier that it did not find him.

Oh yes, and then there were the drunks. Weekends bad, holiday weekends the worst. It was a beautiful park encompassing several natural springs, cool clear water, and a nice 3 mile run that the public was allowed to float down in tubes. Interacting with the public required great patience and a sense of humor. One young woman complained to me that it was really stupid of the park to make this a one way ride. "Why didn't you make it go around in a circle?" she asked with a straight face. What can you say in reply? I just smiled and shrugged my shoulders.:rolleyes:

It was a beautiful park encompassing several natural springs, cool clear water, and a nice 3 mile run that the public was allowed to float down in tubes. Interacting with the public required great patience and a sense of humor. One young woman complained to me that it was really stupid of the park to make this a one way ride. "Why didn't you make it go around in a circle?" she asked with a straight face. What can you say in reply? I just smiled and shrugged my shoulders.:rolleyes:
I've said this here before but I'll never forget the customer who came into the local outfitter I worked for awhile asking about "The Mount Washington". He was inquiring about how long it took for the boat to get to the top.6a00e39338cae988340240a4a4a564200b.jpg

I've said this here before but I'll never forget the customer who came into the local outfitter I worked for awhile asking about "The Mount Washington". He was inquiring about how long it took for the boat to get to the top.View attachment 6659

Please tell me you are just making a joke right now and this did not actually happen.....

I have been a frequent hiking visitor to the park for quite a few years. I am writing with concerns regarding your staff. Some folks on your staff are ornery and seem like they do not want to be there. I have definitely encountered some staff whom are wonderful and friendly; however some of the other employees we have interfaced with evoke an unpleasant lack of friendliness which is really off-putting to users of the park.

I fully respect that there are rules, management regulations, and that their jobs can be difficult. It’s not about that. It’s really about that these staff do not even say “Welcome To Baxter State Park” upon arrival. Instead, they almost treat visitors like a nuisance. The tone, demeanor and behavior of some of your park staff more accurately reflect a State Trooper who has pulled someone over for doing something wrong, rather than an ambassador for the outdoors at a wonderful Maine State Park.

As mentioned, my wife and I have encountered some very welcoming and helpful personnel in our hikes there. However, some of the other staff act curmudgeonly and quite unfriendly. Baxter State Park is one of the most wonderful and beautiful natural areas anywhere, and it is my hope that you will take this letter to heart and address these issues with your staff. It would be so nice to hear “Welcome to Baxter State Park” upon arrival instead of the current cold, unwelcoming demeanor manifested by some of your staff. I appreciate your time and consideration.

Did you ever hear back?