Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My letter to Baxter State Park>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by Puma concolor View Post
    Thread needs a healthy dose of State Troopers doing the State Trooper thing.

Maine State Trooper issues speeding ticket
    I'd heard that was a staged training video showed at the State Police academy. Every time I've been pulled over by a state trooper, they've started off cranky, but lighten up a bit while they are writing up my ticket. I've gotten a lecture a time or two. Maybe I've deserved it, maybe not. I consider a fine paying for my privilege to drive as I want. I've noticed as I've grown older that I don't get pulled over as often. One silver haired gentleman told me once you get a certain age, you become invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I'd heard that was a staged training video showed at the State Police academy. Every time I've been pulled over by a state trooper, they've started off cranky, but lighten up a bit while they are writing up my ticket. I've gotten a lecture a time or two. Maybe I've deserved it, maybe not. I consider a fine paying for my privilege to drive as I want. I've noticed as I've grown older that I don't get pulled over as often. One silver haired gentleman told me once you get a certain age, you become invisible.
    Remind me if we ever decide to go hiking together to meet you at the trailhead.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

I've been to Baxter I think 9 or 10 times now over the past 6 years and every experience except one was excellent. Last year at the North Gate the attendant asked if I had a gate/parking pass. I normally print out everything to have handy because they seem to have no connection to the reservation system there (I basically read all the information off my QR coded reservation to the guy). For some reason I did not have it and after some back and forth the guy said "Hey you know what? At some point we all have to trust each other" and gave me the pass with no evidence of purchase. And he was very polite and professional about it the whole time. All of my interactions with the gate staff, rangers and others has been excellent. Young and old alike.

My only bad experience was I believe the Summer of 2019 at Roaring Brook (of course with my wife who went for the first time based on my rantings about how amazing Baxter is). And the issue really wasn't rude employees. It was no employees. I don't think I saw a single person for my entire 4 day visit anywhere, including the ranger station. And the campground, outhouses, etc. were filthy. I believe this coincided with the appointment of a new director so I took it as a "one of", transitional aberration, and it appears like it was. Haven't had any issues since. I guess we'll see how it goes in August when I return.
    “Sometimes when you’ve lost something in your life that matters, the only thing left to do is go and find it.” Renan Ozturk

I have never seen that video before, oh my God. That state trooper deserves a medal for his patience. I can't believe that dude didn't get arrested, he would have deserved it.
    Spencer
    Bigfoot

I have enjoyed Baxter since the early 80s. The first ten years or so the staffing was very consistent, especially the backcountry rangers, met the same ones every year and learned a lot from them.Since then the staff turns over frequently, I seem to meet new rangers every year, and often they have less knowledge/experience of the park beyond their specific station or location. That being said I have rarely encountered staff who were unpleasant or "cranky" A few bad days perhaps over 40 years is understandable. Love the park, understanding the strict regs are not for everyone, I can't wait to get back there this year after a covid miss last year.

Dartmouth, Nova Scotia - Avatar: Lion Head trail
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePS View Post
    I can't wait to get back there this year after a covid miss last year.
    Agreed. Haven't been since September 2019

All Park employees wear name tags.
    With naming the person you're complaining about I doubt anyone spent more than a minute thinking about your letter.
    Pick up your feet!