14 highest summits debate

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is so much nuance to all of these things and no two climbs can ever be identically equal. Therefore, the only solution in my opinion is to simply say specifically what you did:
Did you summit with Oxygen? Say so
Did you utilize the assistance of Sherpas? Say so
Did you stop 10 feet below the summit because of a cornice? Say so
Did you do it Alpine style or Expedition style? Say so
Did you go to what you believed was the highest point, or did you know there was a higher point but called it good for you? Say so
What season did you do it in?
What was the weather?
Did you down-climb, rappel, or slide down part of the way?
Did someone fix all the ropes and ice bridges for you?
What elevation did you start at?

All of these things matter and there is just so much nuance as to what a summit or mountaineering achievement constitutes that the only solution is to just be transparent and say exactly what you did and how you did it.
That solves the problem.

All of these things matter and there is just so much nuance as to what a summit or mountaineering achievement constitutes that the only solution is to just be transparent and say exactly what you did and how you did it.
That solves the problem.
That's exactly what the article is about. Going forward with transparency. Deciphering and qualifying the past is what the hard part is. The "Top is The Top".

That's an intriguing discussion and I love that photo of Viesturs horsing his way along that ridge. I remember a discussion here a few years ago on the exact location of Mt Lethe on the Carter ridge. Heck, I can't even pronounce it! Is it "Leethe" "Lee-thuh" or Leth?? Anyway, I thought I had been there since I crossed the ridge and checked out every vantage point until someone pointed out that the true summit was well off the trail. They had me convinced and I was ready to scratch it off my list. Then someone from Trailwrights said, "No," that spot just off the trail is the recognized summit and if you were checking boxes on Trailwrights you were good. I didn't take a position either way because it wasn't that important to me, but I recall the discussion getting somewhat heated. Same idea. How close is close enough? I believe a similar discussion here centered on the exact location of the summit of Mt Crescent, which I am sure I did not touch because I stayed on the trail where there is a nice viewpoint to the north near the summit. I believe the true summit is in the woods. As usual, I did not feel like bushwhacking it. In my mind, I climbed Randolph and Crescent on that day. If you disagree, that's ok with me.