2021 Black Fly Season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
They are coming out in the suburbs of Concord NH, although not in high numbers yet. They just became slightly bothersome at the end of a six mile walk.

I've actually been doing my hiking in Pennsylvania the past 6 weeks or so and have yet to really see any bugs at all (or a whole lot of people for that matter) despite warm and calm weather. Not sure if that is normal for PA or a function of the dry weather. Around my house in NE CT I haven't seen much of anything yet either, which is kind of unusual. Enjoying it while it lasts....

Vermont

Will be camping in central Vermont for 6 days starting a Memorial Day.
Any reports from that area? I am scared.

They have been out in the Lakes Region for almost two weeks, and are calming down a bit at lower elevation. (The mosquitoes are another story; they're coming out in numbers now.)

Exactly what I've been seeing NW of Concord. The mosquitoes are vicious right now. 10 seconds after going outside this morning I was being swarmed.

All depends when and where you are. Pick a nice low humidity breezy day on a ridge top and they can be non existent. High humidity, warm, no wind and walking around a bog they can be hyper carnivorous.

I have hiked 250 miles in April + May 2021 and Thursday (Carrigain) I pulled out the bug net for the first time, but only on the descent. All black flies. Mostly down where the streams are prevalent.

IMG_3871.jpg

Tim