Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Dangers of Mountain Running

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    “Trail running is the same as mountain climbing,” said Chinese mountaineer Luo Jing, who survived the race. “You have to make plans for the worst case every time, and don’t pin your hopes on others.”
    Green square for her!

I approach every day hike, backpacking trip, and bushwhack with exactly this approach. It limits my speed and daily distances. It is a trade-off I easily accept because I have a low tolerance for risk.

There is a front page article on this tragedy in today's issue of the Wall Street Journal. Very informative and contains a map.

You can search it and find summaries of the story on other platforms also. In browsing it appears that the organizers did not have adequate first responders. As we see locally, time to mobilize in a suburban setting vs a mountain or wilderness setting is very different. If multiple people are involved and separated by just a few miles, you can't go get one and then another easily.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Assume most of you saw the rescues out in Utah this weekend. No severe injuries and appears that other then realizing the weather was coming in quicker or more severe than anticipated, they did the ret of it right.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.