Mountain Division Trail - looking like it may get completed

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
This came up in a recent thread.

https://bangordailynews.com/2021/05...o-expand-mountain-division-trail-to-portland/

The Sebago the Sea trail includes the southern section of this route.

The former rail bed of the Portland & Ogdensburg Railroad, subsequently the Mountain Division of the Central Maine Railroad runs from Portland to North Conway and up through Crawford Notch and west. The big push is for a bike trail but it potentially would be hiking trail to connect up with the Maine coast. Much of it runs through a rural corridor and with some planning I expect someone could find places to camp along the way. Conway Scenic RR leases the track in NH from the state of NH and has rights to the tracks to the Maine/NH border but only actively uses the section north of North Conway up through Crawford Notch. The section from Westbrook to Portland along a coastal estuary is run as a siding to support what is left of the Sappi paper mill in Westbrook. The Portland Trails network parallels some but not all of this section.

It would be nice to have a rail trail with some camping opportunities. We have the Airline in Eastern CT which does run through one State Park and near two others. It has youth camping sites for groups like scouts or church groups. Maybe in CT you run the risk of squatters setting up long term camps instead of a one night (or two if you account for miserable rainy days being zero days) and go type of camping, however, it would be nice to have a long distance bicycle camping trip not on the roads.

We have canoeing and hiking opportunities but bicyclist seem planning campsites or stealth camping as they peddle on the road. I remember seeing cyclist on the Cape with panniers and gear when I was there as a teen with my parents in the 70's. If they are close to roads and that I would guess they would be attractive party locations also though.

It's going to take a lot IMO to get this to happen. If it does it will take a lifetime to complete. I also do not see it as a hiking trail. Albeit if it is anything like the already existing section in Fryeburg it will be a lot of fun to ride on a bike. But miles and miles of asphalt in what is mainly in the sun would be hot and abrasive on foot.

Having done a couple of 19 mile hikes on the Airline Trail in CT, (stone dust) and the Cape Cod Rail Trail, (paved) I concur with ski guy a bit of a change and shade do go a long way.