Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loop / Thru Hikes In NY

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    I actually really liked the road walks. They were all in the fog and next to no traffic. Gave the little towns a creepy feel that went really well with binging Shittown. The Washington General Store was a highlight. Grabbed a sixer for the final night and the finish. That said, I can't imagine doing that trail in a post covid world in season, the campsites are small and I feel like the cat is out of the bag on the MSG.
    I agree with it being "out of the bag" and I've only seen a few of the campsites but they are small. Having said that for the SAT of a Memorial Day weekend I only saw two people SAT morning, both through hikers (granted the weather was fairly lousy - light rain, 20mph winds and temps in the low 40's but still a holiday weekend.) First rate lean-tos though. I stopped at Max Israel shelter SAT to get out of the rain and have a quick snack. Perfect condition, spotless and had some brand new work tables and benches. Not a shelter guy but these were definitely the nicest and cleanest I've ever seen.
    “Sometimes when you’ve lost something in your life that matters, the only thing left to do is go and find it.” Renan Ozturk

What about the Cranberry Lake 50?

Quote Originally Posted by TEO View Post
    What about the Cranberry Lake 50?
    That does look to be a great option. I have heard of it before but it is not actually where I thought it was. I thought that was down by Lake George for some reason and as such thought it was a very busy area. Have you done it before? What were the crowds like? Seems to be "out there" enough but the website has a pretty lengthy list of finishers on it, which makes me wonder. Definitely going to research further. Thanks for the idea.
    “Sometimes when you’ve lost something in your life that matters, the only thing left to do is go and find it.” Renan Ozturk

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    That does look to be a great option. I have heard of it before but it is not actually where I thought it was. I thought that was down by Lake George for some reason and as such thought it was a very busy area. Have you done it before? What were the crowds like? Seems to be "out there" enough but the website has a pretty lengthy list of finishers on it, which makes me wonder. Definitely going to research further. Thanks for the idea.
    I wouldn't let the list make me wonder if it's crowded, I'm tempted to say the 46er's are generally 10% more list crazed than the NH 4000'er crowd. NH has Owl's Head, Isolation, and the Bonds as long distance trips, two of those three trips have great views to make it worthwhile. While many of the long distance ADK peaks have some views, They aren't 360 or 270 degree views. IMO, Allen, Couchsachraga with Santanoni & Panther, Seymour, Emmons and Donaldson are all harder, than Owl's Head. Some with great views, (Panther Santanoni) while others have good views in one or two directions.

They still do Couchsachraga with is almost 200 feet short of 4,000 through a bog/pond (depending on rain) in the col. It's a detour off of a ridge connecting two peaks with really nice views, Santanoni and Panther. I'm guessing that there are more NH Grid finishers than ADK grid finishers. Twelve, Allen & twelve Couchsachraga trips sounds like near torture.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    I have not hiked it yet, nor do I know if it gets crowded, though I'd be a little surprised if it did. You might try the ADK High Peaks Forum or the ADK Forum for more beta.

Quote Originally Posted by TEO View Post
    I have not hiked it yet, nor do I know if it gets crowded, though I'd be a little surprised if it did. You might try the ADK High Peaks Forum or the ADK Forum for more beta.
    I joined the Facebook group and will likely ask over in the ADK forum as well.