What to Expect on the Trails This Summer NHPR's The Exchange

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few items mentioned of interest to me

Some huts have opened on Stewardship basis (like last summer, there is caretaker but no overnight guests yet). They will be transitioning to full service at some point. But that means reliable water and possibly snacks at some of the huts. I found this on the AMC site Prior to June 3rd, restrooms and water will be available at Lonesome Lake, Greenleaf, Zealand, and Mizpah Spring huts from May 21st through May 31st.

NH is getting behind LNT, they have a program called Dont Take New Hampshire for Granite. (I searched for link but kept getting political articles)

The state claims to be publicizing areas away from the whites, particularly the Great North Woods. Their primary image is from Table Rock in Grafton Notch (a beautiful spot but sadly it looks down on remnants of the Balsams)

A politician from the Great North Woods area called to encourage folks to head up to the Connecticut Lakes region and all of its wonders. (what they did not mention is the lack of backwoods overnight opportunities beyond a few Coos Trail sites which logistically means long drives for day use as Pittsburg and the Nash Stream area prohibit overnight camping except at commercial or state runs sites that are overwhelmed by ATV users).

The picture appears to tell it all, if you want some semblance of solitude on popular summits like Monadnock, get there soon after sunrise. (looking at the length of their shadows)

Looking ahead at my schedule and plans, looking at midweek trips in NH this weekend on Greylock which should be tough and hopefully a peak that requires a whole lot of paddling to get to....

Looking at a couple of WMNF campsites and they are all booked this weekend and one of them for a few of the June weekend nights already and also for 7/4. Weekdays as one might imagine have openings.

Last edited:
A few items mentioned of interest to me

Some huts have opened on Stewardship basis (like last summer, there is caretaker but no overnight guests yet). They will be transitioning to full service at some point. But that means reliable water and possibly snacks at some of the huts. I found this on the AMC site Prior to June 3rd, restrooms and water will be available at Lonesome Lake, Greenleaf, Zealand, and Mizpah Spring huts from May 21st through May 31st.

NH is getting behind LNT, they have a program called Dont Take New Hampshire for Granite. (I searched for link but kept getting political articles)

The state claims to be publicizing areas away from the whites, particularly the Great North Woods. Their primary image is from Table Rock in Grafton Notch (a beautiful spot but sadly it looks down on remnants of the Balsams)

A politician from the Great North Woods area called to encourage folks to head up to the Connecticut Lakes region and all of its wonders. (what they did not mention is the lack of backwoods overnight opportunities beyond a few Coos Trail sites which logistically means long drives for day use as Pittsburg and the Nash Stream area prohibit overnight camping except at commercial or state runs sites that are overwhelmed by ATV users).

Here is a list of the Cohos Trail's overnight options:

https://www.cohostrail.org/places-to-stay/

Last edited:
I expect everything to be busy. We don’t hit any popular trail on holiday weekends. Population growth.

The picture appears to tell it all, if you want some semblance of solitude on popular summits like Monadnock, get there soon after sunrise. (looking at the length of their shadows)

Looking ahead at my schedule and plans, looking at midweek trips in NH this weekend on Greylock which should be tough and hopefully a peak that requires a whole lot of paddling to get to....

Looking at a couple of WMNF campsites and they are all booked this weekend and one of them for a few of the June weekend nights already and also for 7/4. Weekdays as one might imagine have openings.

I just checked the NHSP website, and it seems they are no longer requiring reservations for access to Monadnock parking at the State Park trailheads. I guess it's going to get more crowded on the popular trails. A couple of weeks ago White Dot was busy, but White Cross was relatively quiet, and trails like Lost Farm were practically abandoned.

If there is a Monadnock trip in my future before everything ices up, it will be for a sunset one day during the week.