Black Pond and Brutus bushwacks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On May 22, a user posted the following comment in New England Trail Conditions:

Black pond and Brutus bushwhacks are trails at this point.

Has anyone been there more recently? Would I be able to follow them without a GPS? Thanks.

Wow. Not surprised though. Was on them a couple times years ago and you most certainly needed a GPS. In fact, one time I wondered off course I want to say around 3200 feet on Owls and it was dense as it could be (I turned north too soon). Eventually wandered north until I hit the then herd path. I suppose that path is a wider trail now.

Two years ago BPB was very easy to find heading out of the Pemi where it diverges off Lincoln Brook trail at the crossing, but not as easy leaving the pond while heading in, there were several false paths that diverged right that would end west of the brook crossing. Brutus was the same, easy heading down not so easy heading up. In the first case if you come out along the brook, just follow the various paths east and you will hit the crossing. If in doubt bear left uphill.

They are both well-defined herd paths (went in April and again in May of 2021.) Black Pond has cut saplings for easier navigation in winter, no less. Almost easy to find but easy to follow.

attachment.php

Tim

Attachments

• 2021-06-01_8-00-39.jpg
    2021-06-01_8-00-39.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 730
Last edited:
My opinion is that if one goes into either "bushwhack" without the ability to navigate off-trail, they may become disoriented or lost. If one goes into the "bushwhacks" expecting to bushwhack, they will likely find it very easy navigationally speaking.

There are way too many herd paths in both areas at this point. By not establishing official trails in these areas, the environmental impact has been staggering.

The Black Pond Trail should be sustainably extended to the Lincoln Brook Trail. Likewise, a sustainable path should be established to Owl's Head.

Is the GAIA app on an Android phone a reliable GPS? The GAIA map shows both bushwhacks. My only problem with it is that it drains the battery fairly quickly while using it to track your route.

Oh the memories. I remember when it was a big deal to traverse over to the “new” summit…

Is the GAIA app on an Android phone a reliable GPS? The GAIA map shows both bushwhacks. My only problem with it is that it drains the battery fairly quickly while using it to track your route.

Remember that you can run in Airplane mode when using Gaia. That saves a lot of batt, especially when the phone cannot find service.
In addition, turn off the Gaia compass and altitude functions to save additional juice.

cb

For an Apple/iPhone XR/iOS 14 and GAIA, using airplane mode only (no changes to compass or altitude), I can easily record the presi traverse and pemi loops and still have 40%+ battery left, which includes occasionally leaving airplane mode, and taking pictures. Obviously, not directly applicable to Android, but I do believe the real power drain comes from talking to the towers which requires full power when you are in remote locations.

Tim

Hmmm... the Gaia map shows what it calls "Owls Head Path" and "Brutus Bushwhack," converging at about 3450' and continuing as the Owls Head Path to the summit at 5026'. It also shows "Black Pond Bushwhack" as a continuous trail from Lincoln Woods Trail to Lincoln Brook Trail. It's quite a sad paradox that "they" prohibited official trails in the "Wilderness" (i.e., north and east from Black Pond) in the name of conservation, thus creating even more of an ecological mess and making it easier rather than more difficult for the uninitiated to get out there and get lost. next thing you know they'll want to put a tramway up Cannon and a train tot he top of Washington.

Other things to know when using Gaia is to turn off Wireless and Bluetooth in phone to conserve battery. Otherwise you phone will consume power hunting for wireless and BT devices. Also important thing with Gaia is you must download a topo map or the Open Streets map you intend to use that will show the "trails" before entering Pemi region which generally does not have line of sight to cell towers except from higher summits where you might be able to pick up cell tower on Loon. Remember Gaia gets map data from cell towers (not GPS Satellite) and if you can't see a cell tower Gaia app will not be able to download the map to show in the App. Therefore you must download map area for region you plan to hike in prior to entering remote areas like Pemi.

There is a thing called power banks for phones which if I was relying on a phone in the woods I would certainly carry.

Having the initials of MAP (so APP = appetizer) and looking at the picture bikehikeskifish sent, that would seem like a hard path to lose when there is no snow. At this point, I'd be curious what percentage of people are using the Black Pond BW over the regular trail.

Having used the Fisherman's bushwhack twice and finding it easy (walk along the river) what is the advantage of using the Black Pond path? Looking at the picture again and just that spot, it looks like it may have little or no bushes/brush to whack and therefore may be easier to avoid walking through brush. That would mean that the BP would have less, when wet, car washing and when dry would be less conducive for picking up ticks.

Having the initials of MAP (so APP = appetizer) and looking at the picture bikehikeskifish sent, that would seem like a hard path to lose when there is no snow. At this point, I'd be curious what percentage of people are using the Black Pond BW over the regular trail.

Having used the Fisherman's bushwhack twice and finding it easy (walk along the river) what is the advantage of using the Black Pond path? Looking at the picture again and just that spot, it looks like it may have little or no bushes/brush to whack and therefore may be easier to avoid walking through brush. That would mean that the BP would have less, when wet, car washing and when dry would be less conducive for picking up ticks.

Every trail report displaying on the current TrailsNH map (12) has used Black Pond. It's a lot easier whacking through open hardwoods than whacking through a riparian zone plus you don't have to navigate the circus that is Franconia Falls. I'm not sure if anyone uses the fisherman's whack anymore.

Other than lower elevations in the Sandwich and Berlin areas, where are people finding ticks in the Whites?

Does everyone use the same on the return trip? I've only used the BP route 1/5 times, and missed it on the return. We then tried the Fisherman's route (on skis) and let's just say it was a horrible experience. BP on the way out wasn't much better (very windy and hard to get a straight line), but Fisherman's in the winter was a nightmare... Didn't save us any time. This was also several years ago, so take it for what it's worth...

I got one tick once in 16 years in the Whites - in / near the Bowman parking lot amongst the grasses and wildflowers. Can't say Gryffin has gotten (m)any in his 7+ years either.

Tim

Every trail report displaying on the current TrailsNH map (12) has used Black Pond. It's a lot easier whacking through open hardwoods than whacking through a riparian zone plus you don't have to navigate the circus that is Franconia Falls. I'm not sure if anyone uses the fisherman's whack anymore.

Other than lower elevations in the Sandwich and Berlin areas, where are people finding ticks in the Whites?

I get them more in CT in tall grass so I avoid that. I'm thinking we need to rename the Black Pond bushwhack as the Black Pond Herd path or unmaintained trail. I don't do much whacking, Fort, Redington (both several years ago but not too difficult, Fort on the way back being slightly, (2-4 minutes) confusing) and neither of those required glasses for eye protection. That one picture looks like it doesn't require eye protection like SW Hunter and some other Catskill peaks might. Other than the mud bogs that occupy Cliff and Couchsachraga, the Black Pond Herd Path looks like several "unmaintained" trails in the ADK.

I hit up the Fisherman's Path at least once a year and Black Pond whack is definitely more well defined and easier to follow. I do enjoy the Fisherman's Path though, there's a few spots in the middle where you have to connect the dots between the herd path, made worse by the 2017 October storm, but with the brook paralleling it you eventually stumble back on the path. Plus, there are some pretty cool spots to check out along the river. I also still take the trails back from Owl's Head once a year, but I cut off that last half mile on Lincoln Brook before reaching the Franconia Brook Trail junction, I head straight over an old grade and it pops out into a decent sized clearing before reaching the old camp 9 area. FYI, the clearing is usually wet so save this exploration until the the way out if you choose to check it out.