Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Pond and Brutus bushwacks

Does everyone use the same on the return trip? I've only used the BP route 1/5 times, and missed it on the return. We then tried the Fisherman's route (on skis) and let's just say it was a horrible experience. BP on the way out wasn't much better (very windy and hard to get a straight line), but Fisherman's in the winter was a nightmare... Didn't save us any time. This was also several years ago, so take it for what it's worth...

I got one tick once in 16 years in the Whites - in / near the Bowman parking lot amongst the grasses and wildflowers. Can't say Gryffin has gotten (m)any in his 7+ years either.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    Every trail report displaying on the current TrailsNH map (12) has used Black Pond. It's a lot easier whacking through open hardwoods than whacking through a riparian zone plus you don't have to navigate the circus that is Franconia Falls. I'm not sure if anyone uses the fisherman's whack anymore.

Other than lower elevations in the Sandwich and Berlin areas, where are people finding ticks in the Whites?
    I get them more in CT in tall grass so I avoid that. I'm thinking we need to rename the Black Pond bushwhack as the Black Pond Herd path or unmaintained trail. I don't do much whacking, Fort, Redington (both several years ago but not too difficult, Fort on the way back being slightly, (2-4 minutes) confusing) and neither of those required glasses for eye protection. That one picture looks like it doesn't require eye protection like SW Hunter and some other Catskill peaks might. Other than the mud bogs that occupy Cliff and Couchsachraga, the Black Pond Herd Path looks like several "unmaintained" trails in the ADK.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

I hit up the Fisherman's Path at least once a year and Black Pond whack is definitely more well defined and easier to follow. I do enjoy the Fisherman's Path though, there's a few spots in the middle where you have to connect the dots between the herd path, made worse by the 2017 October storm, but with the brook paralleling it you eventually stumble back on the path. Plus, there are some pretty cool spots to check out along the river. I also still take the trails back from Owl's Head once a year, but I cut off that last half mile on Lincoln Brook before reaching the Franconia Brook Trail junction, I head straight over an old grade and it pops out into a decent sized clearing before reaching the old camp 9 area. FYI, the clearing is usually wet so save this exploration until the the way out if you choose to check it out.

Caltopo works in airplane mode.
    "The fact that going off the deep end appears
    to be a requisite to doing anything of consequence
    in this life has not escaped me." Jim Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Peakbagr View Post
    Caltopo works in airplane mode.
    So does my Silva.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    So does my Silva.
    Yeah, until the poles flip.
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    Yeah, until the poles flip.
    What? I thought it was all flat.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey