Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The overnight pack- weight & gear

When I was actively section hiking the AT, I started out with a big pack and soon moved to smaller pack that barely carried my stuff initially and then got decidedly less full on later trips. I eventually bought an even smaller ULA pack. Pretty much standard these days for thruhikers seems to be quilts instead of sleeping bags and tarp tents. Great for fast and light but not so good for sustained nasty weather like Memorial Day weekend. Most weekend warriors have the benefit that the 8 days forecast these days is getting pretty good so bad weather should not be surprise, thru hikers either deal with it or drop down into town and wait it out.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I am going to swap out the sleeping bag and the pack itself, and train up from there. I can imagine what my winter pack is gonna be like.

Quote Originally Posted by Cevoli View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone. I think I am going to swap out the sleeping bag and the pack itself, and train up from there. I can imagine what my winter pack is gonna be like.
    I can tell you what its going to be like. Its going to be heavy.

My approach is to ignore weight at the complete pack level. For putting together a pack (summer day hike to winter overnight) is driven by a checklist of items. The goal is to have enough to be safe but not one item too much. I review and revise my checklists on an ongoing basis. They also help making it easier to get out when packing. Less mental strain.

I think about weight on an item by item basis when purchasing or retiring gear. This old heavy rain jacket vs that new light weight one. This heavy pot vs that lighter pot.

As others have noted, conditioning trumps weight.

Lastly, there are limits to what I can tolerate in terms of weight reduction of my pack or footwear, as I strongly prefer more support in these areas than many others.
    - Dave (a.k.a. pinnah)

" Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat." - John Lehman, US Secretary of the Navy 1981-1987