Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bootleg sign?

Bootleg sign?

Are folks just making their own signs now? This one was at the bottom of the north slide on Mt Tripyramid and directs hikers into the woods instead of up the slide itself. Being painted yellow and screwed directly to a tree with square drives, I'm fairly certain it's non conforming for Wilderness in its materials and installation. I really hope the WVAIA didn't put it there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210605_071723_HDR.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	6670

Those are definitely bootlegs. I don't think anyone should be going up that way if they can't handle the slide. Of course, maybe folks wouldn't necessarily know how difficult that slide can be. I've done it 3 times and all three I was uncomfortable. The guidebook doesn't necessarily stress that enough.
    AMC Region Leader, Carrigain
    Adopter, Shoal Pond Trail - Stillwater Jct. to mile 2.4

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    I really hope the WVAIA didn't put it there.
    I just checked the WVAIA website and it looks like they maintain that trail and probably did install that sign.

I think it's the real deal. The shape, yellow color and black print is consistent with those posted by the WVAIA, it's been there since at least 2019 and a famous White Mountain blogger refers to it as a "favorite trail sign".

Quote Originally Posted by HH1 View Post
    I think it's the real deal. The shape, yellow color and black print is consistent with those posted by the WVAIA, it's been there since at least 2019 and a famous White Mountain blogger refers to it as a "favorite trail sign".
    Huh. I hadn't been up that trail since probably 2014 but I've spent about a week up on that network this year and don't remember seeing any other yellow signs, certainly not any redundant ones in Wilderness. I guess I should pay more attention.

Definitely not bootlegs. This is the WVAIA style. You'll see plenty of these around the valley.
    Last edited by Ken MacGray; 06-08-2021 at 02:06 PM.
    Proprietor: NH 52 With A View Facebook group
    Books: New Hampshire's 52 With A View - A Hiker's Guide; AMC Southern NH Trail Guide, 5th Edition; AMC White Mountain Guide, 31st Edition

Also chiming in to say they are official WVAIA signs. If you have not seen Steve Smith's excellent new Waterville Valley guide book, there is a short description of these unique signs near the back of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by evilhanz View Post
    Also chiming in to say they are official WVAIA signs. If you have not seen Steve Smith's excellent new Waterville Valley guide book, there is a short description of these unique signs near the back of the book.
    I'll have to check it out. Are they grandfathered in some sort of exception to Wilderness standards? According to USFS, signs in Wilderness are to be routed bare wood.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    I'll have to check it out. Are they grandfathered in some sort of exception to Wilderness standards? According to USFS, signs in Wilderness are to be routed bare wood.

My question is why are they directing folks off the slide and into the woods? Which is in effect creating a new/alternate trail.
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

Go to http://mountainwandering.blogspot.com/2020/ and scroll down just over half way to the first of Steve's two yellow sign photos, taken from a different angle to JoshandBaron's. The sign appears not to have been moved. As you can see it is, in my view, perfectly positioned adjacent to the trail at slide's bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by HH1 View Post
    Go to http://mountainwandering.blogspot.com/2020/ and scroll down just over half way to the first of Steve's two yellow sign photos, taken from a different angle to JoshandBaron's. The sign appears not to have been moved. As you can see it is, in my view, perfectly positioned adjacent to the trail at slide's bottom.
    There need to be more hikers like you out there then, because it looks like everyone else is taking the maintained path that leaves from behind the sign and parallels the slide in the woods
    Last edited by JoshandBaron; 06-09-2021 at 01:17 PM.

Since you have the very latest info, and are certain this sign is directing hikers into woods causing herd path formation, I'm pretty sure the Waterville Valley association would want to know of this. Here's their email: wvaiatrails@gmail.com. Let us know what you find out; you'd be doing your hiking community a favor.

And get Steve Smith's favorite sign taken down? Not a chance.