Need some serious clarification on the Adirondack trail maps.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cevoli

Reaction score
I am new to NY hiking, and I noticed my trail map does not contain trail names, rather, trails seem to be labeled with a series of numbers. Do these correspond to something or am I going to find numbers posted on trailheads when I hit it. I am trying to put together a loop of the wolfjaw peaks with some extra peaks.

I am new to NY hiking, and I noticed my trail map does not contain trail names, rather, trails seem to be labeled with a series of numbers. Do these correspond to something or am I going to find numbers posted on trailheads when I hit it. I am trying to put together a loop of the wolfjaw peaks with some extra peaks.

The ADK publishes a guidebook (Adirondack Trails, High Peaks Region) with a map. The numbers on the map correspond to a description in that Guidebook. You really need that guidebook, it is the ADK version of the AMC White Mt Guide.

I was a little confused by this when I started hiking in NY too. Most of the trails signs have point to point descriptions as opposed to trail names. To use a NH trail as a "comp" their sign for "Lion Head Trail" would be something like "Hermit Lake To The Alpine Garden" instead or something like that. Their trail disks are actually color coded for direction of travel as well, which is covered in the guide. These colors are part of the numbers you see on the map which helps at intersections and when starting down a new section of trail. Some spots are a little confusing but overall I haven't had any issues.

The guide is very good but I would not say you have to have it. But you'll definitely want the map with you so you know which landmarks you are traveling to/from so when you hit an intersection with signs you know your destination.