Jefferson Notch Road

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not (would not) attempt to drive the Jeff Notch Road this week, but I saw it at the junction with the Cog base road on Tuesday. It was still snow-and ice-covered. I was on the Pinkham B (Dolly Copp) road yesterday, which is at lower elevation. It's snow-and ice-free, for the most part. In the morning it was still frozen; by afternoon the mud had thawed and the road was very soft. There are some monster potholes where you could lose your muffler and never find it again, and a culvert is washing out midway through.

Monster truck

How about with an 8000 pound 4WD truck. The road to my house had foot deep mud until last week and it's up hill for all two miles. Took 4WD to get home a couple of days two weeks ago. I take it that the Jeff Notch road is not gated.

Thanks

Thanks Kevin,

I'm really surprised that Sandwich Notch road is reported as open. That particular piece of dirtwork is iffy even in the summer. Speaking of iffy, I recall going over Evens Notch road when it was still 50% ice covered one spring.

Give my best to the Angel with the Furry Face :)

Keep in mind on that page, as of today, it says "Latest update Dec 17, 2004"
So the USFS isn't exactly keeping it current. :D

I'd follow Mohamed's page since he updates that from people emailing him, sometimes even from noticing posts here.

Dalraida: I have a friend who was thinking just like you a few years back. No problem going in, but it cost him over $750 to get a backloader in to extricate his large 4WD "planter" from the mud as he slid off the road on the way out. I'd wait. If not, give me a call, I'm sure the Lowe's can use a little extra cash :) (seriously - if you get stuck, you will get REAL stuck)