Any one get a ticket at a Fee area despite having a valid day use pass?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I parked at the Ammo lot Saturday. When I got back late I found a USFS ticket on my windshield. It states "that my proof of payment seems to be either absent or invalid". The spot where they had to lift up my windshield wiper to deposit the ticket was about 2' away from the orange WMNF sticker attached to the inside passenger corner of my windshield. I just bought it in May. Anyone else get tagged despite a valid pass?

IMO its a real bogus ticket they are using. No indication of date, time, location or plate number. My guess is they are using some scanning tech to record plate info but since I was parked facing in someone would have needed to get out to see the pass.

They do give a email address on it "If you believe you received this notice in error" and I have responded with photos and proof of purchase of a pass.

In the past I have heard of folks getting ticketed for improper use of an annual pass which was that they had attached the pass to a clear backing so they could transfer it between vehicles. I also heard someone getting tagged for putting the pass in the front of the front passenger window as it was not on the windshield. These apparently are not allowed but its perfectly acceptable for anyone with national pass to just set the pass on the dash or hang off the rear view mirror.

Last edited:
Yeah sounds like they just screwed up. I think the annual pass is supposed to be bottom driver side corner of the windshield? So maybe that's why they missed it? Hopefully they'll resolve this for you through that email.

I haven't bought a WMNF pass in years since I have the national senior pass. However, from the info on the website, it says to place the annual pass on the dashboard, so clearly it can be moved between vehicles.

Screenshot_2021-06-22 White Mountain National Forest - Recreation Passes Permits.png

I would think that an annual WMNF pass would come under the heading of annual pass.

Last edited:
NH moved their inspection sticker from under the rear view mirror to the lower drivers side corner. The mechanic told me that there could be no other items in this area. My guess is to make it easier for a LEO to see the right color and number on the inspection sticker. There is also probably technology to remotely read the inspection sticker as there is tech reportedly that can read the VIN bar code located at the base of the windshield automatically from another moving vehicle. I have always seen the sticker located on the passenger side lower corner of the windshield.

I will qualify for one of the national passes next year https://store.usgs.gov/senior-pass , Yes I missed out on the great prior deal but I will roll the dice that my $80 will be well spent ;) but this is the first time since the program started that I have been ticketed.

My understanding is yes all parking lots except South Pond as its run by a third party concessionaire. The Webster Scout trail was in Dolly Copp Campground run by concessionaire but reportedly only a parking pass was required to hike the trail. its currently a moot point as Dolly Copp has been closed for 3 summers and the Scout trail parking it now outside the campground.

The Senior Pass from the National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands works at all the WMNF parking lots?

It works at all National Parks, National Forests, BLM lands, etc. In some instances (like Mt Rushmore) it won't cover the parking fee which is considered to be a concession fee.

Last edited:
This happened to me and a few friends at Lincoln Woods. There happened to be an LEO ranger still there and he said sometimes the people writing the tickets get carried away. There is no scanning system, I've never had to provide a plate number when buying a pass, just over zealous volunteers.

I guess they were waiting for a rainy day. The compliance officer replied to my email and verified that I was legit with a parking pass and that the ticket was in error.