Severe Drought declared in Central Maine.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiguy

Reaction score
Keeps up like this it's going to be tough on NOBO and SOBO thru hikers if it's isn't already. Below is a quote from FB from a Gentleman whom runs a hostel on the AT near the 100 Wilderness: "Springs at Chairback Gap and Long Pond Stream leantos have already dried up. The Barren-Chairback range is bone dry from Long Pond Stream, northbound to the outlet stream of West Chairback pond, a mile or so before Chairback Gap lean-to unless you want to make a half mile detour to Cloud Pond. Carry at least 2 liters and camel up before leaving any water source. I've already had 3 dehydration/heat related extractions".

https://www.centralmaine.com/2021/0...WZRcOHY17sdXQMyUGYVtZVo4Ud_vS68SBYRHXgmatBUuw

No surprise on Chairback Gap water source, its always was marginal, basically its the outlet of a moose wallow. That is a rugged stretch although MATC has done some incredible stone work in the area.

I just spent a week in KI Jo and I couldn't even wet a line. The streams are all so low and warm. The ford at Gulf Hagas barely touched my ankles.