Baldfaces

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBKDalton

Reaction score
Hey all-

I am hoping to do either an overnight or long dayhike over the baldfaces this summer, probably in late June or July. I was wondering if anyone here had done this hike (I searched the theads, but couldn't find anything), what the Baldface Circle Trail is like, and what condition the shelter is in. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

It’s a beautiful hike with much travel above treeline and great views. The shelter was fine when I did it as an overnight last May. The climb from the shelter to South Baldface was a bit of work with a full pack and I remember thinking that it might have made a better dayhike. You can extend the views a bit by using the upper Bicknell Ridge Trail on the descent. If you do backpack it and have a car spot, you can plan some nice trips working in Meader Ridge and the Royces.

A justifiably popular loop. Frequently done as a dayhike. Most people prefer to do it south-to-north because the ascent of S. Baldface goes up steep slabs.

IIRC, there should be details in the WMG.

Doug

I've done the loop both directions as dayhikes. It is a spectacular trail. Fire created views as good as any you get above treeline. South to north does have the advantage of getting thre steepest part over on the uphill, but if you want to do north to south, you can extend south slightly beyond the loop proper and come down a less steep trail. If you do it as a dayhike, you can stay at one of the USFS campgrounds on 113 and pick up some other very nice hikes in the Evans Notch. Not whole lot of water on the Baldface loop in high summer so pack enough if it's hot.

I did the Baldfaces as my first real backpacking trip and I absolutely loved it. We stayed in a tent right outside the South Baldface Shelter but the shelter was in excellent shape (granted this was a couple of years ago.) The ledges going up South Baldface were a little wet and slippery... but nothing too scary, especially for me as a newbie. It's probably easily done as a dayhike, as I carried a full pack for the first time and the first day the mileage into the shelter wasn't particularly far. The Baldfaces trip is still among my top 10 for fall foliage hikes... it's an absolutely beautiful area.

-- Ivy

Here's a link to some photos and a trip report from a ways back. Definitely an awesome trip, I hope to get back up there this summer some time too.

Baldface Circle

In warmer months, you definitely want to hit the waterfall about a mile from the trailhead (if that) for a quick cool down!

Last edited:
Yes, it's reasonable as a dayhike. I would guess it to be less strenuous than Franconia Ridge, which is a popular dayhike.

I do remember it to be very beautiful. It's been five years since I hiked it, but I do remember the climb to South Baldface as one of the steepest I've ever climbed.

Good call, Ivy. Very nice area in Autumn :)

ExploreTheEast said:
In warmer months, you definitely want to hit the waterfall about a mile from the trailhead (if that) for a quick cool down!
Emerald Pool, I assume? It's not far at all, in fact I think people drive to the trailhead just to go swim there.

I've done the baldfaces twice, both times were overnights. I was leading some 12 & 13 yr olds. I don't have a map handy, but I remember we also bushwacked a summit to the southwest (Sable Mtn?) and set up a backcountry tent site off to the side of South Baldface near a stream, off of the slippery Brook Tr. Also I believe the other trip we camped near Eagel Crag?