Via Ferrata gear recommendations?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty

Reaction score
Likely heading to eastern Europe in autumn of 2022 and I'm loving the looks of the Via Ferratas. Anyone have any recommendations for brands, models, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

All the mainline brands of tethers are probably good. Make sure to get one that is "dynamic" (elastic). People have died using static climbing gear on via ferrata. Also get one with redundancy, where you will always be clipped in to something, even while moving part of the tether to the next higher section of the via ferrata.

You can't go wrong with Petzl stuff. Pricy but well made and full-featured.

Here's a place to work out the kinks stateside before your trip. :)

This place is about 20 minutes south of Seneca Rocks, a popular rock climbing venue. Both places makes use of the large rock fins that are common to the area.

fins.jpg

Last edited:
Just wanted to note that if you wanted practice, there's a great (self-guided) place in Kentucky near Red River Gorge that you can do this. Some of the most fun I've ever had. Also a guided tour in West Virginia I believe.

Thanks folks. Much appreciated including the "local" spots!

Make sure to get one that is "dynamic" (elastic). People have died using static climbing gear on via ferrata.

Thank you especially for the this. All the ones I've seen on people are dynamic, but dopey me wouldn't have known the difference. Yeah, 2 clips is a must.

Thanks folks. Much appreciated including the "local" spots!

Thank you especially for the this. All the ones I've seen on people are dynamic, but dopey me wouldn't have known the difference. Yeah, 2 clips is a must.

A pair of fingerless leather gloves can also be handy. The cables and wire rungs can be hard on the hands on longer routes.