Awesome (But Expensive) Airstream Basecamp

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzbo

Reaction score
Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kenne
Check out the awesome (but expensive) Airstream Basecamp. Looks like Airstream can now cater to a new target market. I was driving south on I-93 this afternoon and due to slow moving traffic I was able to grab these snapshots with my phone. Somebody at Airstream must be thinking outside the box.

20210718_125849-L.jpg

20210718_125911-L.jpg

Check out Airstream web site for the Basecamp. Dreaming is cheap. I wonder if you can take one of these into Baxter???

https://www.airstream.com/travel-trailers/basecamp/

Last edited:
That’s if you can get one………”Due to high demand, wait times for new products are longer than normal. Please contact your local Airstream dealer to learn about product availability and placing an order“.

That thing looks dope. I've love to get a little camper like that. What does it cost though, 35k? (I just threw that number out there)

2021 Basecamp® starting at $40,100 from the brochure. My guess is optioned up its probably $50 K

There is specialty segment of off road campers, lots of small firms make them. https://www.motortrend.com/features/seven-of-the-most-amazing-off-road-camper-trailers/?slide=1

Another selection https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/...sm_id=organic_fb_social_FWN_161231_sf47967857

As for entry into the park it looks like it might fit, there is brochure available on the site but it requires registration

Here is the BSP regulation

No vehicle over nine (9) feet high, seven (7) feet wide, or 22 feet long for a single vehicle
or 44 feet long for combined units may enter the Park. Oversize units may be authorized
to use the Park road system by special use permit, subject to conditions set by the
Director. The Director may restrict the use of vehicles by persons without camping
reservations

The back campsites at South Branch Pond get a fair share of campers but many of the traditional campsites in the south end of the park are not designed for trailers so it would require some advance planning on what sites are camper friendly. I have also seen campers at the group sites near KSC and Roaring Brook as well as some sites at Kidney Pond. The rules are camping at designated sites only so camping in parking lots is not allowed or in spots without a campground. The tree branches grow in tightly over the roads and anything high will get a lot of branches breaking on their vehicle. I have been in the park when heavy equipment (large backhoe on trailer and dumptrucks) are brought through the park and they run in the middle of the road with a guide vehicle in front of them that makes traffic in the opposite direction pull over.

Sadly despite the popularity of custom Unimog based expedition campers, for the models since the advent of the 406 series in the 1960s they are two wide (8 ' wide) to head into the park. My 1300L can meet the height limit without a camper box (barely) but about a foot wider than the park limits. Few campers of any type can meet height limit with roof mounted AC units and anyone on the edge will still probably have damage done due to low branches.

Last edited:
my Tacoma with 17.5 ft travel trailer (21 feet with tongue) totals 41 feet, trailer is 7 ft wide so I am legal in Baxter, although have never tried it.

It’s pretty common to see dual-axel U Haul type equipment trailers in the park. Boy Scouts and other groups lots of stuff at group campsites.