Smartphones put hikers in danger. What a surprise

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one has mentioned noting the sun's position in the sky as another point of orientation. Very handy to use when going gets thick.
Natural clues to navigation. The Sun ( the direction of your shadow on the ground does not change much over the course of a half hour or so, but it may change rapidly around local noon, moreso when in low latitudes). Learn to recognize the stars and brighter planet positions at night. The normal regional prevailing wind direction (note the misshapen character of pine tree branch growth on windblown ridges, high peaks, and islands will be directred by the prevailing wind direction, even when the wind is not now blowing), the weathervane effect. What direction was the wind blowing in the morning (if the weather is not due to change for a couple of days, wind direction probably does not change direction much at all during a day of travel, but watch out for the influence of ridges and saddle cuts on wind direction) On clear high pressure blue sky days with mid altitude puffy clouds, the clouds will most likely be moving in the direction of the prevailing wind all day (toward E/NE in my part of the country).
Some areas, like the Adirondacks, had ancient glaciers flow in a particular direction (southwest), so most ridges and longish lakes are aligned SW/NE due to past glaciation. Which way are rivers and streams flowing, does this direction make sense with what you know of the region from your pre-trip map study? You did study the map earlier, right?

If you look around there are many natural clues to direction finding. The commonly heard clue of moss growth being always on the north side of trees, is not reliable so much, unless you note a preferential direction of growth in the area you are in as you enter the region on that day.
It all works if you pay attention. Most important, if you note some clues that do not match with other clues in the landscape you are in, take the time to figure out a reasonable rationale of why this is.

Last edited:
No one has mentioned noting the sun's position in the sky as another point of orientation. Very handy to use when going gets thick.

Also, when hiking at night with no lights, it can be useful to throw small stones in the path ahead to locate steep drops that should be avoided.

Here's another good use of a cellphone in the backcountry...

You can listen to the NOAA weather broadcast from the Summit of Mount Washington, including the very useful Higher Summits Forecast, anytime you have cell service in da woods.

Use a browser to access: https://noaaweatherradio.org and scroll in the station list to New Hampshire Mount Washington 162.500.

The latest weather broadcast loop will begin to play. Use sparingly (once a day?) as this will burn battery time.

There is a NOAA feed from Middleville NY that might be useful for the Dacks.

Your phone's headlamp is not nearly as useful, unfortunately. :)

Last edited:
The Gaia Ap now comes up on my Android Auto options on my Toyota. It comes up with a default Gaia map that shows all the roads plus all sorts of trails and off road features. Far more interesting than a boring Google map. I wonder when the first news article comes up about someone following the Gaia Ap on their car leading to someone going really off road pops up.

Drivers have been getting in trouble with GPS for years...

https://www.boston.com/news/local-n...gps-navigation-drives-car-into-charlton-lake/

Here's another good use of a cellphone in the backcountry...

You can listen to the NOAA weather broadcast from the Summit of Mount Washington, including the very useful Higher Summits Forecast, anytime you have cell service in da woods.

Use a browser to access: https://noaaweatherradio.org and scroll in the station list to New Hampshire Mount Washington 162.500.

The latest weather broadcast loop will begin to play. Use sparingly (once a day?) as this will burn battery time.

There is a NOAA feed from Middleville NY that might be useful for the Dacks.

Your phone's headlamp is not nearly as useful, unfortunately. :)

You can also carry a small NOAA weather radio. Some of them are pretty compact and give you lots of listening time on batteries.

You can also carry a small NOAA weather radio. Some of them are pretty compact and give you lots of listening time on batteries.

You can, but it's one more thing.

For most folks cellphones have replaced cameras, music systems, dedicated auto GPS devices and in some cases maps and compass.

But not headlamps (yet).

They are lite, have a tiny form factor and with a solar or external supplemental charge device can last a weekend's worth of tramping in the Whites.

What's not to like?

Last edited:
You can, but it's one more thing.

For most folks cellphones have replaced cameras, music systems, dedicated auto GPS devices and in some cases maps and compass.

But not headlamps (yet).

They are lite, have a tiny form factor and with a solar or external supplemental charge device can last a weekend's worth of tramping in the Whites.

What's not to like?

Nevermind that the right digital maps are more accurate, higher resolution, and far more complete than any paper offerings. I haven't carried a paper map on any trip in the Whites I've done in the past 5 years or so. The AMC maps are out of date the second they are published, 100' contours are barely adequate, and don't include all the trail networks on the ground. When was the last time USGS maps were updated? The USFS ones still show shelters where they haven't existed for years. Cell phones get entirely too much shit for what is more often user error and the only thing a paper map is good for to those idiots is firestarter.

Nevermind that the right digital maps are more accurate, higher resolution, and far more complete than any paper offerings. I haven't carried a paper map on any trip in the Whites I've done in the past 5 years or so. The AMC maps are out of date the second they are published, 100' contours are barely adequate, and don't include all the trail networks on the ground. When was the last time USGS maps were updated? The USFS ones still show shelters where they haven't existed for years. Cell phones get entirely too much shit for what is more often user error and the only thing a paper map is good for to those idiots is firestarter.

Yes, digital maps are everything you say. I just prefer the big picture you get with a nice map (plastic coated) and a compass to correctly orient it. This is how I learned to use a map and compass at Valley Forge in the Boy Scouts.

map2.jpg

Quite simply the lack of redundancy.
You could take redundancy a long way! I LIKE things that do double duty (or more), especially my phone. There was a thread on ADKHIGHPEAKS recently about a guy who carried 30 pounds of pack weight. A lot of it was redundant. My pack weight is 15 pounds, with just about everything you might need for a summer day hike.

Just to play devil's advocate for a minute, I've gotten into plenty of trouble driving while following DeLorme atlases for Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. Paper maps can have their own problems.

Skiguy, you cut me to the quick!!

Do you carry two compasses (compai?) or two copies of the area map? I doubt it!

Well, I carry two compasses (counting the one on my iphone) as well as 2 headlamps. Also, two maps if you count the one on my iphone.

I still like a good ol' paper map. And my Garmin watch provides useful information. Haven't tried any phone navigation yet.

You could take redundancy a long way! I LIKE things that do double duty (or more), especially my phone. There was a thread on ADKHIGHPEAKS recently about a guy who carried 30 pounds of pack weight. A lot of it was redundant. My pack weight is 15 pounds, with just about everything you might need for a summer day hike.
Good points. Although when your phone goes down you not only loose one task or tool but many.

I still like a good ol' paper map. And my Garmin watch provides useful information. Haven't tried any phone navigation yet.

Skiguy, you cut me to the quick!!

Do you carry two compasses (compai?) or two copies of the area map? I doubt it!
I usually have three compasses tucked away, my favorite always available primary, a secondary just in case, and a third functional but lesser quality to give to some poor sot I may meet who lost or forgot theirs, as an old guide once advised me to do, which I have done.
I carry a waterproofed USGS topo map in a protective flexible case, something far better than a ziplock bag others may use. On critical trips, or when training guides, I will carry an extra neatly folded map to mark, or with students because they usually don't take the care of their map that I do with mine. Although modern trails may be created and changed from time to time, I don't often count on trails at all for most destinations I go to. The landscape, shape of hills, mountains, ponds and lakes, creek and river courses only change during rare extreme seismic events of the kind that happen every million years or so. Updates not needed. That with frequently practiced use is all I need to navigate for an enjoyable and successful backcountry visit.

Last edited:
Do you carry two compasses (compai?) or two copies of the area map?

Yes. Two compasses, and when I'm bushwhacking, which is most of the time, typically USGS and MapBuilder maps for the area, plus published trail maps if I'm using trails at all. Sometimes, depending on the complexity and length, I may bring two different scales, zoomed-in and big-picture. If the area has been logged, I may bring satellite photos. Since I hike in the dark somewhat frequently, I carry two headlamps. Trying to find the spare batteries in the dark is a pain, particularly in the winter.

You could take redundancy a long way! . . . My pack weight is 15 pounds, with just about everything you might need for a summer day hike.

Tom, my pack weighs in at 13 pounds sans water and food. I'd like to think it has everything needed to make it through a cold summer or fall night. But you're right, one could take it too far. I do not, for example, carry a backup sleeping bag, tent, stove, or bear canister on overnight hikes.

I carry a waterproofed USGS topo map in a protective flexible case, something far better than a ziplock bag othes may use.

Nessmuck, I'm one of the "othes." What do you use for a map case?

Last edited:
Nessmuck, I'm one of the "othes." What do you use for a map case?
I have a couple of different styles and sizes that fold for ease of carrying my maps. My favorite is one I got from LLBean years ago. It is clear plastic on one side only, nylon fabric on the back and has a zippered pouch side where I keep an exta compass, a note pad, a pencil, maybe a grid measurement tool useful for when on SAR, and anything else I might immediately need. It is partially waterproof, but not totally, so if I expect wet weather or in a canoe, I might bring a fullly waterproof style case made by sealine or NRS....
Nessmuk

Old WMNF map from who knows what edition (at least 20 years), folded to the area where I happen to be. Phone stays in my pack. No hiking apps loaded.

Assume this may make me negligent nowadays and will be charged for a rescue....