Smartphones put hikers in danger. What a surprise

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one of the AMC plastic maps that covers the entire whites in my pack. Its accurate enough for one trail hiking and in pinch would serve for off trail. They are relatively indestructible. If I am going off trail I carry the appropriate USGS topos. Trails change but rarely does the underlying topo. . I have a PLB in the bottom of my pack but its batteries are up next year so need to decide it I want to replace it. The cost for legit battery replacement is about what a brand new one would cost although I have seen videos on DIY replacement. I think I will stick with brand new unit.

Nevermind that the right digital maps are more accurate, higher resolution, and far more complete than any paper offerings. I haven't carried a paper map on any trip in the Whites I've done in the past 5 years or so. The AMC maps are out of date the second they are published, 100' contours are barely adequate, and don't include all the trail networks on the ground. When was the last time USGS maps were updated? The USFS ones still show shelters where they haven't existed for years. Cell phones get entirely too much shit for what is more often user error and the only thing a paper map is good for to those idiots is firestarter.

I'm a die hard paper map guy but I have drifted pretty far along into the digital side of things with my phone. It is just too damn easy and convenient in such a small form factor with apps like CalTopo or Gaia. I can't remember the last time I carried my actual GPS unit. And cell batteries last way longer than they used to. I did a 4 day thru hike in PA back in May using my phone for picture taking the whole time (and I take obscene amounts of pictures on my hikes) and in airplane mode I still had almost half my battery left on Day 4 with no charging. I did not make GPS tracks however.

The big kicker for me is size as many have said. I just love having a huge paper map to open up and see large areas at scale. I've actually started experimenting with my tablet locally with all these apps but think the size, durability and weight offsets the bigger, richer screen.

You wouldn't hike with someone skilled at map & compass navigation? If you have one, what would be the point of their carrying one?

I couldn't agree more. It's especially rewarding when (a) you find yourself unsure of where you are and you have to figure out how to get to a place where you will know where you are, the satisfaction is multiplied when you're solo; (b) you pop out of the woods exactly where you intended, e.g. the trunk of your car or a specific spot on a trail; (c) both.

I have only in special circumstance's. Family mostly. I over look them since I'm the Alpha in that group. Can be nothing but trouble other wise. Been there done that.

Last edited:
Maps, I rarely carry them, then again, I rarely go someplace I've not been many times. Bringing two first timers hopefully next week to Washington. Me and another hiker, the slow group, have at least 16 trips up and additional times on the Ammo and Jewell where Washington wasn't on the agenda. The quick two will likely do Monroe while they wait for us and if weather permits do Jefferson and then join us down the Jewell. The quick two will have a map & likely will use their phones.

(Last year the quick one did Osceola and East Osceola and got back to Osceola about five minutes after we got up Osceola.)