Hiker death...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There were at least a couple of more rescues but NHF&G is slow to update their site with their press releases.

Appalachia was over my crowded benchmark on Saturday with traffic parked about half way to Pinkham B road. There is a blue Horton Center sign that I use to judge the parking and the line of cars was past it.

There were at least a couple of more rescues but NHF&G is slow to update their site with their press releases.

Appalachia was over my crowded benchmark on Saturday with traffic parked about half way to Pinkham B road. There is a blue Horton Center sign that I use to judge the parking and the line of cars was past it.

I note a disturbing trend in recent rescue reports on the F&G website: age!

There have been several (many) rescues of older folks (60+) in the past few weeks. Most had lower-leg injuries. One was Guy Jubenville, a well-known and long time AMC trip leader and SAR volunteer. So it can happen to any of us senior citizens regardless of experience or expertise.

The common accident mode seems to be a slip on descent. Watch you footing fellow aged trampers!

F&G updated the website, 4 additional incidents https://nhfishgame.com/ on Saturday.

One allergic reaction, 4 leg injuries (by folks of various ages).

I know that I am definitely slowing down on the downhills these days. I have always used poles on the downhill and my downhill gait is modified quadruped. Most steps down are supported by one or two palmed downhill pole placements. When I see a trail runner running downhill hopping from one rock to another it makes me cringe for his future joint damage.

My guess is more above 60 folks getting hurt is a consequence of more over 60s hiking. It used to be rarity but these days the trails are graying up or in my case balding up ;). Boomers are setting new standards for aging and that is reflected in the outdoors.

I think the wet July we have had in NH has also kept trails slippery and a bit treacherous.

Normally my Merrill Moabs are very secure but lately in the damp and wet condx they are sometimes like "greased Ligntn!"

Used to scoff at poles, blamed them for the scratches more obviously left by crampons. Now I am a dedicated adherent. That is what age can do.