Multiday Rescue On Gulfside Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“Due to Victor and Joseph Jackson’s plan and preparedness, they were able to safely make it through dangerous weather conditions. They possessed all the 10 essentials recommended by the Hike Safe program as well as other key pieces of gear such as a tent, sleeping bags, multiple layers of clothing, camp stove, and plenty of food and water”. Kudos to them!

I wonder what their hike plan was. Where did they plan to use the tent on the traverse? Dropping off the ridge at night? AT bootleg sites?

I do not think they planned to camp where they did but did so as one of them hurt themselves. The RMC campsites are open on Adams. The next option is the Jewell trail unofficial sites just below treeline. Its about 1 hour down off Gulfside and 1000 foot elevation gain. These are legal sites per the published regs but not an organized campsite, its used mostly by thru hikers. No tent platforms or privy but plenty of wide spots in the woods. I visited it about a week and half ago to check things out. FYI , its a dry site so water needs to be carried from the spring on the Gulfside just north of the North Mt Clay loop junction. Next legal option is Edmunds Path (also about a mile down and 1000 feet). The Dungeon at Lakes is reported closed due to Covid and the huts are not doing work for stay. The final option is some limited sites between Eisenhower and Pierce in the woods. Technically someone could go down Caps Ridge to the woods but that is a long way down.

Many ignore the regs and campout at Sphinx Col, there are some flat spots up against the boulders just off Gulfside. If a storm comes over they will wish they were not there as Jefferson and Washington funnel the winds right through that area and lightning strikes would be up close and way to personal.

I do not think they planned to camp where they did but did so as one of them hurt themselves. The RMC campsites are open on Adams. The next option is the Jewell trail unofficial sites...

Sphinx also has a bunch of sites near the GG jct for similar elevation/distance costs as the others mentioned.