Trails near Wentworth Location, Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miehoff

Reaction score
I will be maintaining a section of the Cohos Trail next week and will have some off days. I am staying just north of Wentworth Location, and since it HAS been years since I have been in that area, I am not sure what to hike in my free time. I am looking for 6-8 miles. Nothing crazy but I am in decent shape. Remote is best. I am very experienced, if that is worth saying. Views are always nice, but a nice river hike is also good. Swimming hole recommendations and dining options are also welcome, although I will be camping and should have enough food.

Thanks!

Mt. Magalloway. Easy hike but great views and a fire tower. Aziscohos Mountain, which is off 16 at the dam. Haven't hiked it but I believe it is also easy. As you go northeast into Maine there would be more opportunities. If you are into adventure, drive up Dead Diamond Road from 16 (at Wentworth Location) to Hell Gate, where the Dartmouth cabin is (or, if you don't have access to Dead Diamond Road, drive up Parmachenee road and take Abbott Brook Road to Hell Gate). Nice swimming area both above and below Hell Gate. But it is remote.

The Dartmouth College Grant is just south and west of Wentworth Location, but it's gated except for approved users. But you're free to take a gravel or mountain bike and explore around. No big hikes but the trails to various ledges are interesting, and the views of the Dead and Swift Diamond Rivers are great. If you get all the way up to the northern end of the gorge is interesting to explore. You could even rent one of the cabins from the DOC for a night or two, which would give you car access.

The Dartmouth College Grant is just south and west of Wentworth Location, but it's gated except for approved users. But you're free to take a gravel or mountain bike and explore around. No big hikes but the trails to various ledges are interesting, and the views of the Dead and Swift Diamond Rivers are great. If you get all the way up to the northern end of the gorge is interesting to explore. You could even rent one of the cabins from the DOC for a night or two, which would give you car access.

The last part of Dave's post is not correct. Cabin rentals in the Dartmouth Grant are not available for those not affiliated with the college.

Mt Aziscohos has great views. Trailhead is 1 mile north of the dam on RT16--not always clearly marked. Campground staff can probably provide good directions.

I sent a PM about swimming.

The last part of Dave's post is not correct. Cabin rentals in the Dartmouth Grant are not available for those not affiliated with the college.
You're right, I'd forgotten that the DOC cabins were also restricted to students, alums, and employees only.

The first part of Dave's post is not correct. The Second College Grant is due North of Wentworths Location.

I will be maintaining a section of the Cohos Trail next week and will have some off days. I am staying just north of Wentworth Location, and since it HAS been years since I have been in that area, I am not sure what to hike in my free time. I am looking for 6-8 miles. Nothing crazy but I am in decent shape. Remote is best. I am very experienced, if that is worth saying. Views are always nice, but a nice river hike is also good. Swimming hole recommendations and dining options are also welcome, although I will be camping and should have enough food.

Thanks!

Depending on where exactly you are staying and whether or not you're interested in bushwhacking, there are any number of NHHH and NH200 peaks to choose from in the vicinity.

For example, though to the Southwest, Percy Peaks are two of the coolest peaks, especially when North Percy is ascended by the abandoned West Side Trail. Also in Nash Stream Forest, Sugarloaf offers spectacular views. Both of these have trails. A little further North in the Vickie Bunnell Preserve are Gore, Bunnell, and East Pleasant (née Blue). Between the logging roads and herd paths, they almost might as well have trails.

Closer to Wentworths Location are the trio of Kelsey, Dixville, and South Baldhead. Dixville is either a drive or hike up the road. South Baldhead is the most interesting of those three.

If you're around Dixville Grant there are a bunch of peaks just west of the Second College Grant, including the Crystals, Blue Ridge, Pisgah, etc.

Right off of the Cohos, from Coleman State Park are Sugar Hill and Tumble Dick. (There's a trail up Sugar Hilll, but the summit takes some poking around to find.)

Then right along 26 are Cave and Rice.

Most of these are less than 6-8 miles, but you can fit in a couple of hikes in a day.

I appreciate the information and suggestions. I ended up hitting the two swimming holes that Vermonster recommended (Thank you!), and spent the other time exploring and maintaining my trail southwest of Table Rock. I put in stakes near the old Balsams lift, so it should be a lot easier navigating the ski area now. Plenty wet in there, but boy is it beautiful and remote.

I have hiked the Diamond Peaks, and I really loved that area. After visiting the northern part of the College Grant, I wished I could be a student at Dartmouth so I could stay in those cabins. What an amazing area.

Thanks again.