Lake Matagamon Access

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Is Lake Matagamon accessible from Trout Brook Farm for kayak launching? My map doesn't show a boat launch or canoe carry icon but it appears to be a sizable stream or cove leading about 1/2 mile to the main lake body. I was on a website for Trout Brook Lake that shows photos of people kayaking a narrow channel so I'm thinking there is a trail or short portage or something?

If anyone is familiar with this area and can clarify the situation it would be appreciated. I'll be heading up there soon and staying at South Branch.

I've never been there, but Google maps shows Grand Lake Rd (past Trout Brook Farm) leading to a gate (Matagamon Gate) and then shortly to what looks like a launch area. Looks like you can also access the lake via Matagamon Wilderness Campground from the other direction.

Last edited:
Is Lake Matagamon accessible from Trout Brook Farm for kayak launching? My map doesn't show a boat launch or canoe carry icon but it appears to be a sizable stream or cove leading about 1/2 mile to the main lake body. I was on a website for Trout Brook Lake that shows photos of people kayaking a narrow channel so I'm thinking there is a trail or short portage or something?

If anyone is familiar with this area and can clarify the situation it would be appreciated. I'll be heading up there soon and staying at South Branch.

Yup. It's a short paddle from Trout Brook to the big lake.

I believe you can still rent canoes at Trout Brook.

I've never been there, but Google maps shows Grand Lake Rd (past Trout Brook Farm) leading to a gate (Matagamon Gate) and then shortly to what looks like a launch area. Looks like you can also access the lake via Matagamon Wilderness Campground from the other direction.

Yah it seemed obvious on the map but the lack of a launch icon had me wondering if there was some sort of issue there with ledge or a swamp or something. Excellent. Thanks.

Yup. It's a short paddle from Trout Brook to the big lake.

I believe you can still rent canoes at Trout Brook.

Awesome. No doubt that was the photo I saw on the website. Thanks.