Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lafayette Place and Old Bridle Path Parking Fees proposed

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCaper View Post
    I would do fees to all the parking areas along the notch that jam up every time.. from the flume to Artists bluff area. That would give profit overall. Collect at prime times by a worker in those areas..my wife did that at a very small boat ramp in a town. Teachers off or students off for the summer would jump on that. Sounds crazy? not really. Happens every where across this country all the time.
    I agree with implementing fees at Lafayette Place and Old Bridle Path Parking. But, the Flume already charges $18 for over 13 during it's season (roughly May to October). Charging for parking on top of that would be a bit excessive. The percentage of that lot being used by anyone not visiting the Flume is pretty small IMO. And Artists Bluff/Bald Mtn. uses Cannons parking lot. However, The Basin, both sides of the road, probably has in excess of 100 spaces with pretty high turnover. It's there they should try the fee tube or electronic pay station. Should be able to bring in a decent amount of revenue during the summer and fall months. On a separate note. I wish they'd make that entire area (The Basin) no swimming. Won't get into what I'm seeing in there now.
    Joe

Any of the NY people here have any relevant feedback on this relative to that parking permit system implemented last year for the lot at the Ausable Club? Be curious what kind of money that has generated, issues, what people have been doing to circumvent, etc, etc. That is a somewhat comparable lot in terms of size (its smaller I think) and popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Any of the NY people here have any relevant feedback on this relative to that parking permit system implemented last year for the lot at the Ausable Club? Be curious what kind of money that has generated, issues, what people have been doing to circumvent, etc, etc. That is a somewhat comparable lot in terms of size (its smaller I think) and popularity.
    I believe that the parking areas at the Ausable Club are outside the Blue Line and thus private land. Correct me if I am wrong about this. Been quite a while. Whereas the NH parking areas are within a state park and thus public land. Also, there are substantial fees to park at Adirondack Loj as well as the Garden, which I think still runs a shuttle.
    Last edited by maineguy; 03-30-2022 at 12:49 PM.

AC Parking is on private land, but it within the blue line. The blue line defines the boundary of the entire Adirondack Park. But the park is a mix of public and private land (currently about 50% public and another 10-15% private protected by easements).

Adirondack Loj is also on private land of the Adirondack Mountain Club.

Some discussion here about the first year of the permit program:

https://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/...rking-for-2022

Quote Originally Posted by TCD View Post
    AC Parking is on private land, but it within the blue line. The blue line defines the boundary of the entire Adirondack Park. But the park is a mix of public and private land (currently about 50% public and another 10-15% private protected by easements).

Adirondack Loj is also on private land of the Adirondack Mountain Club.

Some discussion here about the first year of the permit program:

https://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/...rking-for-2022
    Thanks. I was trying to find that thread earlier and couldn't locate it. Was pretty lively discussion when I was last reading it but I haven't followed up since the new reservation program was just about to roll out.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    My suspicion is permitting and building a parking lot expansion would be a multiyear effort. It took decades to permit the parkway and I suspect that more parking will mean more traffic on the trails and inevitably the issue with trail maintenance will properly be brought up.
    You'd be surprised how easily and quietly things can get done. Did you hear about any permitting or issues with the new building Cannon constructed above 4,000 feet a few years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by JustJoe View Post
    .... On a separate note. I wish they'd make that entire area (The Basin) no swimming. Won't get into what I'm seeing in there now.......
    Not totally separate as this discussion really got me thinking about the varied use at the Basin, and the ability to access. My family loves to go there for a quick trip to cool off and not by 'swimming', just being in that cool refreshing environment and maybe a dip of the feet for the few seconds you can stand. It's getting rough with towels and beach like setups limiting access for extended periods.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket21 View Post
    I disagree with the parking fees, and I suspect that many days the cost to collect the fees may exceed the actual revenue.

I think the Lafayette Place parking lot should be expanded and illegal parking should be ticketed/towed as necessary.

I also think the state should finally start using the Sunapee lease money to make improvements across the parks system, rather than putting all of it (and more) into Cannon Mountain ski area. Since 2000, $11,506,914 in Sunapee lease proceeds have been used to subsidize Cannon.
    I agree when I look at the example at Monadnock where I really think we needed a third parking lot constructed at HQ, but the Master Plan agreed to modest expansion of existing lots with some increased distribution to other trailheads. What happened was we continued to accommodate most of the high use at HQ with marginal parking facilities that took an inordinate amount of personnel to manage. The 2003 Master Plan didn't fully deal with the existing use and the problems and impacts only compounded with the increasing use. This would be a good place to note something elsewhere in the thread I felt good to mention; the current NH parks director was the first who had the opportunity with an improved budget and I think true interest in stewardship, to start to scale back some of the high use and seriously consider carrying capacities after I left Monadnock and he became Director, and things (at least managing use as far as I am aware) have improved.

But it's tight and sensitive in the notch and might be a hard sell, especially with the existence of the Cannon lot. There are probably places where they can improve the existing parking lots and areas at Lafayette Place/Bridle Path to see modest increases and easier management. Personally I wouldn't be too keen on using the shuttle to access any trailheads, but my use pattern may be different with living close by.

For those who have access to back issues of Appalachia, there is a great article in the June 1969 issue concerning the routing of I93 thru the notch. At that time it was to be a standard 4 lane interstate highway. There was even a plan for a tunnel near Profile Lake. What is interesting, however, is that there is no mention of trailhead parking access. The plan was to have a separate entrance to the Park and basically no exits on the interstate between The Flume and Echo Lake. I have only a vague recollection of parking at the Whitehouse trail and then staying at Liberty Spring shelter. I didn't visit the trailhead for OBP and don't know what it was like then. (I pretty much left the East Coast in 69 and didn't return until 81). In one of the proposed plans for the notch (in 1969) was an 1800 car parking lot at Cannon.

Attached is a scan from the article:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FRANCONIA NOTCH PROPOSED.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	6817
    Last edited by maineguy; 03-31-2022 at 10:43 AM.