Hiking with Sticks and Stones

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiguy

Reaction score
Last season there was a hiker doing the NH 4's and he was carrying and then leaving a painted rock/brick on every Summit. It was met with great disdain on Social Media to say the least. He claimed he was going back to retrieve his collection when he finished the list. Not sure what eventually happened but it seems as though the situation has dissipated. This Season we have a much more environmentally friendly yet I'll call it eccentric project going on. A gentleman is now attempting to hike the 4's while carrying a log over his shoulders. Up and down and leaving nothing behind. He has multiple logs he uses all with the bark scraped off. Some left bare and others wrapped in various colors of tape. All of them have some good heft and definitely do not qualify as sticks. He says he is training for some kind of endurance race also. Needless to say it looks impressive. Has anyone seen him out there?

Last edited:
A man who can handle his big log with aplomb is a man who can conquer the world. I for one salute Log Man in all his future endeavors.

Last season there was a hiker doing the NH 4's and he was carrying and then leaving a painted rock/brick on every Summit. It was met with great disdain on Social Media to say the least. He claimed he was going back to retrieve his collection when he finished the list. Not sure what eventually happened but it seems as though the situation has dissipated. This Season we have a much more environmentally friendly yet I'll call it eccentric project going on. A gentleman is now attempting to hike the 4's while carrying a log over his shoulders. Up and down and leaving nothing behind. He has multiple logs he uses all with the bark scraped off. Some left bare and others wrapped in various colors of tape. All of them have some good heft and definitely do not qualify as sticks. He says he is training for some kind of endurance race also. Needless to say it looks impressive. Has anyone seen him out there?

Sounds like he's training to be a Navy Seal:D

IIRC, some years back some joker left a bowling ball (a real one, not candlepin) on top of one of the ADK peaks. Stayed there a while before somebody volunteered to carry it down.

(From the headline I thought this thread was going to be about self-defense on the trail.)

I'm thinking my Labrador could whoop him.

Fitz

I'm thinking my Labrador could whoop him.

Fitz

Speaking of canoes....

Do the Dartmouth kids still haul one up to Lakes for a relaxing fat-water paddle each summer?

Or have they switched to inflatable standup paddle boards!

Well he did it. 48 Peaks in five weeks with “Larry the Log”.