Thread: Hiking with Sticks and Stones

Hiking with Sticks and Stones

Last season there was a hiker doing the NH 4's and he was carrying and then leaving a painted rock/brick on every Summit. It was met with great disdain on Social Media to say the least. He claimed he was going back to retrieve his collection when he finished the list. Not sure what eventually happened but it seems as though the situation has dissipated. This Season we have a much more environmentally friendly yet I'll call it eccentric project going on. A gentleman is now attempting to hike the 4's while carrying a log over his shoulders. Up and down and leaving nothing behind. He has multiple logs he uses all with the bark scraped off. Some left bare and others wrapped in various colors of tape. All of them have some good heft and definitely do not qualify as sticks. He says he is training for some kind of endurance race also. Needless to say it looks impressive. Has anyone seen him out there?
    Last edited by skiguy; 08-13-2021 at 05:31 PM.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

A man who can handle his big log with aplomb is a man who can conquer the world. I for one salute Log Man in all his future endeavors.

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    Last season there was a hiker doing the NH 4's and he was carrying and then leaving a painted rock/brick on every Summit. It was met with great disdain on Social Media to say the least. He claimed he was going back to retrieve his collection when he finished the list. Not sure what eventually happened but it seems as though the situation has dissipated. This Season we have a much more environmentally friendly yet I'll call it eccentric project going on. A gentleman is now attempting to hike the 4's while carrying a log over his shoulders. Up and down and leaving nothing behind. He has multiple logs he uses all with the bark scraped off. Some left bare and others wrapped in various colors of tape. All of them have some good heft and definitely do not qualify as sticks. He says he is training for some kind of endurance race also. Needless to say it looks impressive. Has anyone seen him out there?
    Sounds like he's training to be a Navy Seal

IIRC, some years back some joker left a bowling ball (a real one, not candlepin) on top of one of the ADK peaks. Stayed there a while before somebody volunteered to carry it down.

(From the headline I thought this thread was going to be about self-defense on the trail.)

I'm thinking my Labrador could whoop him.

Fitz

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    I'm thinking my Labrador could whoop him.

Fitz
    Speaking of canoes....

Do the Dartmouth kids still haul one up to Lakes for a relaxing fat-water paddle each summer?

Or have they switched to inflatable standup paddle boards!
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

When I was at U Maine a couple of folks carried an Old Town Tripper up Katahdin to the summit and down again via Abol.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    When I was at U Maine a couple of folks carried an Old Town Tripper up Katahdin to the summit and down again via Abol.
    Was it Fitz? Check out his avatar...

Does anyone hike for nothing more than the joy of hiking any longer? Did they ever?

Well he did it. 48 Peaks in five weeks with “Larry the Log”.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    Do the Dartmouth kids still haul one up to Lakes for a relaxing fat-water paddle each summer?
    Not every year, but often enough.
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by B the Hiker View Post
    Does anyone hike for nothing more than the joy of hiking any longer? Did they ever?
    Yes and yes. No list and no log book. Just hike with no goal, but to be on a mountain with my dog.