Beaver Brook Picnic Area Improvements

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
The USFS has done a major upgrade to the Beaver Brook picnic area by closing off one entrance and posting it no trucks. In the past this lot was getting trashed by solid waste truck drivers who were using it as place to park overnight and in early morning before the the large Casella landfill opened on Trudeau road in Bethlehem. The outhouses were getting trashed to the point that the FS screwed the doors shut and closed them. The revised parking lot layout would make it very difficult to get a tractor trailer into and back out of the lot.

I am not driving by in the early morning of late so I can not comment where the truckers are parking these days. Previously they would be backed up along the side of the road in wide spots all the way back to exit ramp off I93.

The landfill is rapidly nearing maximum capacity and recent significant leachate spills into the Ammonoosuc River (or its watershed) is most likely a sign that the landfill may not be open for much longer. If Casella gets its way, Dalton is the next host for a new landfill out of sight of the hiking public but just up hill from Forest Lake State Park.

Last edited:
Just curios, is this the Beaver Brook/AT Trail-Head parking you are referring to? Doesn't it only have one entrance already, that loops around one-way? It is wide to allow for in and out traffic. Just asking as I've never seen trucks in there or near it.

Sorry for the confusion, The USFS Beaver Brook Picnic area is on RT3 east of The Gale River road and west of the Road to the North Twin trailhead. In the summer its is just a roadside picnic area but in the winter there are cross country ski trails and is also used to access the the Gale River trail trailhead.

I agree its confusing as there is also as you referred to a Beaver Brook Trailhead in Kinsman Notch. I will correct the title and the post.

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion, The USFS Beaver Brook Picnic area is on RT3 east of The Gale River road and west of the Road to the North Twin trailhead. In the summer its is just a roadside picnic area but in the winter there are cross country ski trails and is also used to access the the Gale River trail trailhead.

I agree its confusing as there is also as you referred to a Beaver Brook Trailhead in Kinsman Notch. I will correct the title and the post.

Ahhh, that makes more sense. I was racking may brain trying to think of another Beaver Brook.