Tropical Storm Henri

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Might as well start a thread for TS Henri (could be Cat 1 Hurricane). Current status as of Friday AM is the weekend should be fine but folks headed south on Sunday may run into it. Most models show it staying in southern and Central NH, mostly a rain event for areas that no longer need or want rain. Of course Hurricane Irene had a similar forecast where the storm would stay south and it shifted at the last minute and went up in VT and washed the state out;)

I was up at BSP for 6 day stay prior to Irene. I had a group at Bear Brook and then coming down off a day of hiking on Katahdin we were informed that the park was being evacuated the next day at 10 AM. I headed home and just caught the leading edge near my home. I slept late the next day and got up and US 2 that I had driven the night before was closed, RT 16 south to North Conway was closed due to numerous washouts, Crawford Notch was closed due to the Sawyer River Bridge being washed out and Vermont roads in general were washed out. I ended up heading back to BSP later in the week to meetup with Stan and his son from VFTT for a couple of quiet days at the park. Several trails in the whites got damaged and several new slides formed. It was the death knell for the former suspension bridge over the Wild river as the foundation on one shore got severely damaged which gave the FS an excuse to eventually tear it out.

Maybe time to check the gas can and the chainsaw oil ;)

Looks like path is moving far to the west with a sharp jag that will take it over NH as a tropical depression. This new and much longer path should make it a lot less severe. Fingers crossed.

Looks like more of the rain and wind will be a CT and NYC issue if the track stays as it is now.

Just about 10 years to the day when Irene hit......The rainfall amounts were crazy for parts of the Hudson valley,Catskills,ADK's.....20 inches!!!:eek:........our basement sump pump burned up, couldn't handle all the water.
Right now the paths are looking eerily similar...let's hope for the best

The thought was the low pressure over Ohio valley would pull it more west.....eastern Mass,Rhode Island looks like they may get the worst of it....hopefully the brunt of it stays off shore.

The thought was the low pressure over Ohio valley would pull it more west.....eastern Mass,Rhode Island looks like they may get the worst of it....hopefully the brunt of it stays off shore.

Center of storm now predicted to pass over Concord NH at 8 AM Monday. Lots of rain for the Whites.

As long as it does not stall (like Irene), the whites should be able to handle it as unlike Southern NH, the Whites soils are not saturated. Looks like the Saco River drainage is going to get hit hard with rain.

Hope everyone stays safe. Time to pull out the camping gear.

Last edited:
Looking like it may come ashore close to me - I'm about 3 miles from the shore, sandwiched between Westerly and Narragansett. Hoping for the best but planning to be without power for a few days. We've a few suspect trees we meant to take down earlier this year - let us hope it doesn't bite us in the ass!

Almost 30 years from hurricane Bob to which I had an exciting occurrence.
I was with another couple on the Allagash and our trip only brought us to Eagle Lake and back. The last night we were to camp again on Chamberlain and Bob was to hit that night. We were aware and secured the canoes on shore and spent time locating the tents away from as much danger as possible and moving objects away from camp. The rangers stopped in and said they were only warning people but not evacuating and checking that campers were preparing. We were barely 20 and excited to ride out the storm as evening approached, and then maybe an hour before sunset, the rangers showed up in their boat and said "Augusta" was evacuating everyone. There was a sporting camp clear across the lake, and the rangers loaded one boat and the women on their boat. Whitecaps were already forming on the lake, and the camp was not that close, so we figured the rangers were going to get us and the second boat next; but they instructed us men to get into the canoe and paddle like hell. We made it with some effort and without getting swamped, and were welcomed by our partners into a private cabin (think it was called Nugents camps), and we and the cabin survived the storm. We had appealed to the rangers to stay at our campsite as we had worked all day to be ready for what was coming, so we were not thrilled when we were presented with a bill from the camp owners the next morning. And I seem to remember we had to leave our gear set up at our campsite during our last minute evacuation, and it looked like we would have survived the storm when we reviewed the scene upon returning to gather our camp.

TS Irene destroyed parts of the ADKs and Catskills, likely worse damage than what occurred in NE.

Really? There were entire sections of Vermont that were cut off from the rest of the world. For much of the state you couldn't get from one side to the other. More than a half-billion dollars in aid was disbursed.

Really? There were entire sections of Vermont that were cut off from the rest of the world. For much of the state you couldn't get from one side to the other. More than a half-billion dollars in aid was disbursed.

It looked like most of the rain funneled right into that area. Here in Eastern NE CT it was a total non issue - not much rain and very little wind. Literally almost any of the thunderstorms we've had this summer were worse. THU's storms in the my area were orders of magnitude worse than Henri.

It looked like most of the rain funneled right into that area. Here in Eastern NE CT it was a total non issue - not much rain and very little wind. Literally almost any of the thunderstorms we've had this summer were worse. THU's storms in the my area were orders of magnitude worse than Henri.

True, you had a rare (for CT) EF-0 tornado in Thompson.

For Irene, VT also got hammered with the Greens, Catskills and ADK's seemingly acting like a funnel. All of VT got it as I went to White River JCT afterwards and the White was full of debris. NH and eastern Ct was mostly spared. Western CT got hit hard too. People in Fairfield CTY went over a week without power & Since Irene, there has been more focus on removing trees on the Merritt.

No big deal it seems for the northern Northeast mountains. Was on the coast of Maine until today and a bit concerned that Henri might fall into the Floyd/Irene category and wreck my Maine P2K hiking plans a few weeks down the road. But it just didn’t push far enough inland. :)

No big deal it seems for the northern Northeast mountains. Was on the coast of Maine until today and a bit concerned that Henri might fall into the Floyd/Irene category and wreck my Maine P2K hiking plans a few weeks down the road. But it just didn’t push far enough inland. :)

The Allagash River Gauge as of today continues to show it doesn't rain in the northern most parts of ME. Current reading is closed to the lowest daily reading than the 25% percentile reading.