Controversy over logging in the Green Moutain National Forest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont...mountain-national-forest/Content?oid=33631956

No doubt there are similar concerns over the WMNF. Much of the forest was a managed over the decades to mature stands that are starting to get over mature. It used to be common knowledge that the USFS was losing money on every cut in the WMNF due to the hoops they had to go through to get a cut scheduled and actually completed. I wonder if that has changed? At some point the revenue from well managed stands starts to get quite high. Despite the arguments in the article, there is fairly good research that patch cuts introduce a lot of biological diversity.

From the USFS Website:

"The mission of the Forest Service is to sustain the health, diversity, and productivity of the nation’s forests and grasslands to meet the needs of present and future generations."

The article is just spouting nonsense. If the USFS ended all logging everywhere, it would not be enough for these folks, mark my words. I'm already reading articles in "science" magazines that say "we should not rely on tree planting or forests to solve the "climate crisis."" Clearly, they are setting up the "whatever you do, it won't be enough" scenario.

This is just another set up. End all USFS logging everywhere, and then wait for the next set of demands. Hopefully the USFS is smarter than that.

"Seeing the forest for the trees" ....there can be a balance in forest management that benefits all...local economies,wildlife,environmental and recreation.Regarding the story linked,we hear from both sides,and they both have their merits but if we are to come any type of end result compromises will need to be made.The state of Vermont is very high on the list for people looking to build 2nd homes...sometimes makes for a lopsided consensus on how forest should be managed.

The global forest may have some impact on the climate, 580 acres annually in VT (which they say & history has bore out they don't cut it all) isn't going to change the world's climate. If you can replant all those mature trees missing in the Amazon......

Since they clear cut a few acres at a time with logging, second homes isn't really an item. If you were building a large condo complex (near a ski area) maybe, but if I want a shady, secluded lot that I can only have a clearing for my ornamental lawn, a clear but isn't it. (I always thought the logging roads and small pines on the way to Reddington just screamed Sugarloaf Condos or single family homes. The clearing that goes on in Maine isn't a place I'd want to live. (The logging roads that grant access to the Allagash are very different from Reddington Estates. (I want credit if they name them that in 30 years)

The global forest may have some impact on the climate, 580 acres annually in VT (which they say & history has bore out they don't cut it all) isn't going to change the world's climate. If you can replant all those mature trees missing in the Amazon......

Since they clear cut a few acres at a time with logging, second homes isn't really an item. If you were building a large condo complex (near a ski area) maybe, but if I want a shady, secluded lot that I can only have a clearing for my ornamental lawn, a clear but isn't it. (I always thought the logging roads and small pines on the way to Reddington just screamed Sugarloaf Condos or single family homes. The clearing that goes on in Maine isn't a place I'd want to live. (The logging roads that grant access to the Allagash are very different from Reddington Estates. (I want credit if they name them that in 30 years)

I was just speculating that Vermont behind Maine is seeing and influx of people buying up real estate wanting to get away from metropolitan living.With this..the "out of staters" have an impact on local government and maybe see things differently i.e. logging)than what a life long Vermonter might...without getting too political.

All kinds of house lots going in along Caribou Pond Rd. I believe there is already a Reddington Estates off Rt 27.