Lighting of the Fire Towers (NY)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Many Fire Towers in NY will be lit up on Saturday Night, 9/4/21, from 9:00 to 9:30 PM. (The rain date is the next night).

The idea is for people to look up and remember the role the towers played in preserving the forests and communities in the area.

https://nysffla.org/light.html has a list of the towers that are participating. Click on a tower name and it will show you where the tower can be seen from (use the 'Visibility cloak' setting).

We'll be lighting the Balsam Lake tower. Feel free to 'Flash' us! :D

What are you using for lighting?. Years ago I was involved with the need to light a tower for about 10 nights. We ended up getting a navy surplus beacon from a large life raft. It flashed very bright and was visible for miles.

Hopefully you are not using the Lord of the Rings Approach ;) (Large bonfires)

Very interesting. Looks like a fun event. Hopefully it is clear and folks get some pictures. Would love to see that!

What are you using for lighting?. Years ago I was involved with the need to light a tower for about 10 nights. We ended up getting a navy surplus beacon from a large life raft. It flashed very bright and was visible for miles.

Hopefully you are not using the Lord of the Rings Approach ;) (Large bonfires)

We're using a Coleman Lantern, others might be using other items. No bonfires!

SkiGuy, I'll try to post some pics eventually...