Butt Kicked on Pemi Loop and Waumbek for #115

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamFarmer

Reaction score
Saturday I set off with high hopes of a one-day Pemi loop from Lincoln Woods parking lot at 4:30 AM. I would do a clock-wise route so Flume was 1st. I figured I could get it done in 20 hours. It was colder than expected and I spent a lot of time adding and removing my outer layer throughout the hike. Also the Franconia Ridge was mobbed which required the appropriate amount of stepping aside for other hikers. I had been on all these peaks before but I did not know the trail from Lafayette to a little ways past the Skookumchuck trail.
It was a great day for a hike and I had plenty clothes,food and drink. I didn’t care when I got done as much as I wanted to stay comfortable, nourished and hydrated. I like talking to AT thru- hikers when I get the chance to listen to their opinions of taking on the AT (ALL say it’s more mental than physical).
The beautiful day wore on and just about dark I was at the Galehead hut. I knew most of the climbing was done but had many miles to go and I had a chill from the sweat and the wind all day. I didn’t feel like hiking in the dark and I was tired since I never caught a nap all day.
THANK YOU AMC FOR HAVING A POLICY THAT ALLOWS PEOPLE IN MY SITUATION TO STAY THE NIGHT EVEN THOUGH WE SHOW UP WITH NO CASH OR CARDS (they’ll bill me).
It was pure heaven to lay down in the top bunk and pull a wool blanket over me !

I left the next morning before breakfast was served and thanked the manager for letting me stay. He gave me a giant piece of coffee-cake to go. After the south Twin climb I wolfed that down with my triscuits and peanut butter ,cliff bar and had a nice smoke.
It was cold and windy again with the threat of rain but things went well for the long cruise across the Bonds and back to Lincoln Woods.

I took Monday off for rest and shuttled some AT thru-hikers. Tuesday I did Waumbek for my #115. It would have been such a nice hike except my right knee was seizing up. I had been sitting at #114 since August of 2017 but I didn’t want to drive all the way to the Whites just for Waumbek. I really wanted to give the Pemi Loop a good shot first. It’s apparent now I’m never doing it in one day but making it a 2 day hike is pretty darn nice.