Maine Huts and Trails Update

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like they are taking a new run at it this winter.

https://mailchi.mp/mainehuts/back-to-the-huts-we-go?e=059c65c61e

The new director, Wolfe Tone has a serious resume, (Saddleback Mountain Foundation and Trust for Public Lands).

I expect like any tourism business, Covid will factor in on their winter success along with the snow pack. I am still unsure if the long term model of operation is viable. The two new huts needed to link Saddleback over to Sugarloaf might change things but barring a couple of big donors coming along I dont see it happening anytime soon. Then again if they can prove a viable operation that could attract the dollars they need.

I actually looked him up to see if the name was legit.

Sixty bucks (in Maine)and a form dropped off at the registry of deeds and anyone can pick the name they want.

Is there a map where these three huts are? I really need to get back to Western Maine, I was last on everything except Redington when the years started with a 19. Redington being a 200X. Saddleback, IMO the best summit not in BSP. Are these on or near the AT? If NH and the ADK keep being overcrowded, it may make sense to revisit Maine.

They are near the AT but unlike the AT, MHT does not follow the ridgeline as its reason for existence is cross country skiing. They also have to thread a needle as they have to stay off of Maine Public Reserve Land and NPS land. The native tribe that owns the former Dead River lands is a partner with MHT and allows the use of their lands and their Carriage road that saves a lot of time and miles driving around Mt Bigelow. The AT gets closest to the Flagstaff Hut. Nice place for a hike and paddle trip. The outlet end of Flagstaff is almost exclusively protected by the state of Maine so it a very "wild lake". The only man made structures visible are the dam on the end of the lake. During this time of year the lake is low so the shores look more like a seashore than a lakeshore. They have a full fleet of boats and gear (supplied by LL Bean) for guest use. Its a nicer experience and the structures are larger than the AMC huts but down in a valley so the views are not as good. The bunkrooms are smaller plus they have private rooms. They also run warm glycol under the slabs of the bunkrooms so less need for heavy winter gear. They also have hot showers.

The down side is its long drive up from down south. Not as far as the AMC 100 mile wilderness cabins but still a haul.

Here is a video tour I made of Stratton Brook Hut a several years ago: https://youtu.be/2iLU6NwWWTQ

A few weeks later I XC skied in and out one afternoon: https://youtu.be/UT3r8FBYlTg

And this hut system is true multi use with hiking, mountain biking and XC all welcome on their trails.

Flagstaff hut is a gem with a great location and relatively short approach from Long Falls Dam road trailhead. Central heating via wood, composting toilets and other state of the art systems.

Last edited: