Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Midstate Trail Nastiness

  1. #1
    Senior Member ChrisB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    NH 1,000 Highest
    Posts
    1,203

    Midstate Trail Nastiness

    Like we don't have enough to worry about...

    Now someone is placing trip wires along the Midstate Trail in Spencer MA.

    More Covid-caused angry behavior? Wish I knew.
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama
    .

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Whitefield NH
    Posts
    35
    Not Covid. When I did the MA Mid State a few years ago, there were places home owners did everything possible to obscure the trail. Covering it over with yard trimmings, taking down blaze markers, putting up fences and out right obliteration by developers. It got worse the further south it went. I imagine it's much worse now down around the Spencer area.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    2
    The same thing was occurring in the Foxborough state forest a
    Couple of years ago. It was never determined who had done it.
    With the proximity, could be the same person(s)

  4. #4
    Senior Member B the Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Middletown, CT
    Posts
    989
    At Ragged Mountain in Connecticut, a neighbor kept taking down trail markers and filling in the trail. So RMF members set up a camera on the trail--quite out in the open. Then they set up a camera hard to see, focused on the first camera. The neighbor was caught on the second camera trying to take the first one off.

    Then he nailed a raccoon to a tree, on the trail.

    They took him to court.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Salty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Warner, NH
    Posts
    227
    Not what is appears to be:
    https://www.midstatetrail.org/2021/0...ter-uncovered/

    It's a dog fence wire, flush to the ground (and not in Spencer :-) ).

  6. #6
    Senior Member skiguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Not what is appears to be:
    https://www.midstatetrail.org/2021/0...ter-uncovered/

    It's a dog fence wire, flush to the ground (and not in Spencer :-) ).
    Thank you for the clarification . Although it seems prudent the owner of the wire should eradicate the situation. Not to be cynical but it seems a bit too convenient on his part.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

  7. #7
    Senior Member ChrisB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    NH 1,000 Highest
    Posts
    1,203
    Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    Thank you for the clarification . Although it seems prudent the owner of the wire should eradicate the situation. Not to be cynical but it seems a bit too convenient on his part.
    Hummm...

    The story describes the placement as follows:

    In this case, the two wires were about 15 feet apart.

    "It was probably four to five inches off the ground, ankle-height," she said.



    Seems odd that wires are across the trail, no?

    Maybe if it keeps the pooch contained and discourages hikers in the process it's a win-win for the landowner!
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama
    .

  8. #8
    Senior Member TCD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Not what is appears to be:
    https://www.midstatetrail.org/2021/0...ter-uncovered/

    It's a dog fence wire, flush to the ground (and not in Spencer :-) ).
    But folks are fooled again by fake news.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Mike P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colchester, CT
    Posts
    3,292
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    Hummm...

    The story describes the placement as follows:

    In this case, the two wires were about 15 feet apart.

    "It was probably four to five inches off the ground, ankle-height," she said.



    Seems odd that wires are across the trail, no?

    Maybe if it keeps the pooch contained and discourages hikers in the process it's a win-win for the landowner!
    And if you can get your dog to go out and bark right at your property line and scare some hikers so they don't come back to that section, that's even better. (Some sections of trail I keep going back to, others it's a one and done, quiet and solitude and scenery goes into that evaluation)
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •