snowshoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yukon Charlies started out as Chinese look alikes of Sherpa' s. They had rotary pin binding shoes but material quality was marginal. They were cheap and if you were not pushing them or were willing to get stranded in the woods the price was right. They appear to have morphed into image of a legit company but seeing that they are giving away replacement bindings for past models on their website I still wonder about durability. Of course, Tubbs went to a trademark on Chinese made good 20 years ago. MSR did off shore some of their manufacturing, they have on occasion been on the bleeding edge. The Evo family had evolved into pretty bombproof snowshoes and were the choice of several rental outfits.

Time to keep an eye on Ebay for old Sherpas. Note there are still Sherpa design snowshoes made in Canada, but they exceed your price limit.

Last edited:
Yukon Charlies started out as Chinese look alikes of Sherpa' s. They had rotary pin binding shoes but material quality was marginal. They were cheap and if you were not pushing them or were willing to get stranded in the woods the price was right. They appear to have morphed into image of a legit company but seeing that they are giving away replacement bindings for past models on their website I still wonder about durability. Of course, Tubbs went to a trademark on Chinese made good 20 years ago. MSR did off shore some of their manufacturing, they have on occasion been on the bleeding edge. The Evo family had evolved into pretty bombproof snowshoes and were the choice of several rental outfits.

Time to keep an eye on Ebay for old Shepras. Note there are still Sherpa design snowshoes made in Canada, but they exceed your price limit.

I have a pair of Sherpa's with the full crampon binding. I'll consider letting them go for the right price, the bidding starts at 1000.00 dollars.:eek:

Yup, I have 3 pairs of MSR Evo's (the oldest is 13 years old) and all three are still in service. Bombproof and appropriate traction are the key requirements. Guess I'll bide my time until they get the MSR supply sorted and try to borrow what I need in the meantime.

Yup, I have 3 pairs of MSR Evo's (the oldest is 13 years old) and all three are still in service. Bombproof and appropriate traction are the key requirements. Guess I'll bide my time until they get the MSR supply sorted and try to borrow what I need in the meantime.

An FYI: The EMS in Portsmouth NH has racks of Tubbs shoes in stock. It also has some MSRs and tail extensions.

I was actually surprised by how well stocked they were.

Evo

Yup, I have 3 pairs of MSR Evo's ....

Am I right in thinking they only make the Evo in 22" size? Add 6" tails and you still only have 28", which for me (6'4", 230# + gear) is not enough for breaking trails... as much as I don't love forking over $300+ every 3-4 years for Lightning Ascents, that seems to be the way it is...

Am I right in thinking they only make the Evo in 22" size? Add 6" tails and you still only have 28", which for me (6'4", 230# + gear) is not enough for breaking trails... as much as I don't love forking over $300+ every 3-4 years for Lightning Ascents, that seems to be the way it is...

You have a small % in height and weight over me and I do fine with the Flex Alp XL (28") for deep snow/trail breaking. I will bring

• Evo Ascents (8x22) if I am likely to be carrying them a significant portion of the time, and unlikely to do any substantial trail breaking. I have the 6" tails but I'm not a fan.
  • Flex Alp (8x24) if I am likely to be wearing them most of the day and / or likely to do trail breaking
  • Flex Alp XL (8x28) if the snow it substantial or there is a chance/risk/opportunity to bushwhack

Tim

Yes, only in 22". I have the tails but never use them. Only once on a bushwhack did I wish I was wearing bigger shoes (I was wearing the now deceased 24" flex alps that day). I was absolutely spent at the end of the day. But I agree, I'd much rather have bigger shoes than use the tails. Biggest shoe I own is an old 9 x 34 Tubbs hand me down. I used it once 3 or 4 years ago on a Catskill hike after a big dump. The crampons on it suck but it didn't matter much that day.

If you go by some of the weight charts, I'd need a couple of pieces of plywood for adequate flotation (I'm at least 220# with gear). Anyhow, the bomb proof 22's are what I need for clients on trail.

Last edited:
If you go by some of the weight charts, I'd need a couple of pieces of plywood for adequate flotation (I'm at least 220# with gear).

When I was new to Winter hiking (and clueless about the needed equipment) I went to various websites for sizing snow shoes and wound up with a 36" Tubbs model (I'm 6'3", 230 lbs) based on my size and weight. That did not work out well at all. It is fun to take them out after a big storm though.

I know it’s a little late for this reply, but if you’re looking for snowshoes that offer a lot of flotation and don’t want to go with traditionals then GV Wide Trails may be what you’re looking for. I have a pair of 12x42 and they keep me near the top of everything but the lightest, fluffiest snow. I’m 260lb, 290-300 with my winter pack depending on temp. I rarely hike on trails, preferring to just head out on the logging roads and bushwhack, and have never had any problems with my GVs. Steep terrain is their weakness, with no heel lifters and only moderately aggressive crampons. I’ve made them work but my Garneau Blizzard III 1036s are better in that kind of terrain.