Northville-Lake Placid

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheNatrix1

Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of people seem to do this trail at the end of the summer. Is there any reason for this besides avoiding black fly season? (which is reason enough) I'm debating hiking it around memorial day. Thanks for any information!

I did it in June and if I had to do it again, I would pick August or Sept . . .
It is a lowland wilderness trail. VERY, VERY muddy and swampy in areas and also the bugs are insane on this trail in June . . .

So, yes, it is probably smart of people to do it in late summer though if you want solitude, go in June and you will have solitude :)

sli74

The best time to do this trail would be in late summer or Early fall. I attempted it in late June and was chashed off the trail by all the bugs. They are very VERY bad in June.

I did it in the first week of July. The bugs were pretty bad. During the day, the deerflys were around my head from Long Lake on (I was going South). Except for a few sections, the trail was quite empty, leantos rarely had anyone in them. Twice I attermpted to use a leanto, but after an hour, I left and set up my tent, because it had a screen. Oh yeah. It was so hot/humid most nights, that I had to sleep outside my sleeping bag, giving he bugs even more oppertunity to eat me.

The bugs were so bad the 2 weeks in June I was there that the scars from the bites lasted over a year. I even used bug spray like it was water and still the bugs bit me and bit me and bit me . . . so if you don't like being bit by bugs plan for an August or Sept. hike . . . you will be thankful you did.

sli74

I did it in early August, and it was fine. Repeated a section in a subsequent June, and another in a subsequent August. On the repeat June was fine, but the August hike was flooded. You just never know. It's a lowland-valley trail and will flood if there are several straight days of rain at any time of the summer.

I did part of it at the end of August and the bugs weren't too bad. We also didn't see anyone, but that was probably pure luck.

My favorite trail!!!!
Did it one year in September just after Labor day and another year in last week of June/first week of July.
During the June/July trip I remember feeling slight panic on day one at the hords of mosquitoes biting through my t-shirt, buzzing around my head and landing on my pack trying to bite and me thinking what on earth did I get myself into, as all I had was some Deet cream and no spray. I stopped at the little store in Piseco on day 2 and got a proper can of spray which really helped.
The worst were the deerflies and the big green horseflies - everywhere.

Here is my theory on Deer & Horseflies
I discovered that wearing an argyle bandanna backwards and draping over my neck kept the horseflies circling in front of me rather than landing on my neck, back or the back of my legs or arms and biting when I couldn't see them.
I think they thought the argyle pattern on the back of my head were big eyes and they tended to try to avoid being "seen" and stayed in front of me wear I could swat them.

The year I went through in September - it was perfect - no bugs no mud just a great trip.

Also, if anyone wants a reprint of the ADK article "Death on the Northville Placid" Trail, just PM me with your e-mail address

Last edited:
Rick said:
Here is my theory on Deer & Horseflies
I discovered that wearing an argyle bandanna backwards and draping over my neck kept the horseflies circling in front of me rather than landing on my neck, back or the back of my legs or arms and biting when I couldn't see them.
I think they thought the argyle pattern on the back of my head were big eyes and they tended to try to avoid being "seen" and stayed in front of me wear I could swat them.

Ahh.. You just reminded me what my son tells me his gang does.

He claims that they go for the highest thing... so, these guys put a hat on top of a shovel or rock bar that they are carrying. The deerflies circle around that, keeping away from his head. OK, I guess most people don't hike with a shovel or a 20 pound rock bar, but a stick tied to your pack may do the same thing.

I have hiked sections both during early August and had no problems with bugs. It's a great time because you get get to do some swimming at the end of your day. If you have checked prior posts, make sure you read the section about the area that is closed (McKains Resort) If your a through hiker you won't have a problem but you should be aware. This is a Great hike, enjoy it and let us know how it goes.

Pete_Hickey said:
Ahh.. You just reminded me what my son tells me his gang does.

He claims that they go for the highest thing... so, these guys put a hat on top of a shovel or rock bar that they are carrying. The deerflies circle around that, keeping away from his head. OK, I guess most people don't hike with a shovel or a 20 pound rock bar, but a stick tied to your pack may do the same thing.
An old trick is to walk up close to a buddy, making sure he or she is in some way standing taller than you. You might be standing on lower ground or crouching in some unobvious way. After a brief converstation, discretely slink yourself down and step away, leaving all the bugs (well, temporarily) with him/her. Problem is, they catch on pretty quickly what you are up to and without admitting to anything you can get into some pretty funny duck and slither away contests.