Boundary Bald in Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpalaia

Reaction score
Hello! I'm working on finishing up the 50 Finest and am looking at the Blue Trail up this peak. Looks like the directions to the trail head are Madison Ave to Old Kelly Dam Road to unnamed road - ? Do folks know if these roads close at some point this fall? and also are the passable with a normal vehicle or will I need something high clearance?

Thanks for the intel!

Hmmmm. Interesting. This is one of my final two Northeast P2K peaks but the best beta I have is from “Best Easy Day Hikes Greenville Maine” … which basically says to follow Bald Mountain Road for 4.2 miles after turning off 201 and then turning left on Notch Road for .2 miles to the end of the road. The hike described starts here.

So maybe there are multiple ways to grab this cool peak.

Hmmmm. Interesting. This is one of my final two Northeast P2K peaks but the best beta I have is from “Best Easy Day Hikes Greenville Maine” … which basically says to follow Bald Mountain Road for 4.2 miles after turning off 201 and then turning left on Notch Road for .2 miles to the end of the road. The hike described starts here.

So maybe there are multiple ways to grab this cool peak.

I do see Bald Mountain Road on the Maine 2018 Delorme but no Notch Road is labeled. Does your guide give this trail a name?

I attached a photo of the map included in the guidebook that is basically self-explanatory. If you want me to send you the full text from the guidebook, send me your email address via PM and I’ll get it to you.

Route is very lightly used. Marked blue but apparently difficult to follow in spots.

C56EC4BA-98EB-4FF4-A3B5-732CD96FF378.jpg

Thank you, the map does the trick, I'll try this approach, the road names my gps comes up with to get there when I punch in the trailhead our suspect and I can't find them at all on the Delorme Map.

I Have nit been there but it looks like a US Border Patrol solar powered communications repeater. They reportedly have built several of these repeaters to serve border operations.

I can confirm that the Falcon Guide route described above is right on the money. Hiked Boundary Bald yesterday and the only issue I encountered was the freshly fallen snow. Signage in multiple spots and the trail is blue blazed from the point it branches off Trail Road.

5FC31F86-5A9A-4EBC-BFE0-CC371EDF9DB2.jpg

Last edited: