Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Jay Range

  1. #1
    Senior Member Mike P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colchester, CT
    Posts
    3,292

    Jay Range

    How many people make it out to the actual summit? I was there Saturday and had a great day of views. That said, most groups we saw stopped at the last bare knob before the true summit, We looked and the drop down from where we were to the col didn't seem worth it for essentially the same views. I'll ask over on the ADK High Peaks Forum later.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    549
    I thought the summit was worth it, it was a beautiful day and we didn't want to leave. I regret not going over to Saddleback but that just means a return trip to Jay at some point.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Keene, New York
    Posts
    87
    I don't check this site that often, but I'll respond to this new post. The true summit of Jay offers views of the Green Mountains that you don't get on the rocky summit, and it's only about a 15-minute hike to that summit. If you continue on the herd path that heads for Saddleback for a few minutes and then cut left before the trail starts dropping, you'll find a few ledges where the benchmark is located, and that ledge has great views of Lake Champlain.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Mike P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colchester, CT
    Posts
    3,292
    Quote Originally Posted by tgoodwin View Post
    I don't check this site that often, but I'll respond to this new post. The true summit of Jay offers views of the Green Mountains that you don't get on the rocky summit, and it's only about a 15-minute hike to that summit. If you continue on the herd path that heads for Saddleback for a few minutes and then cut left before the trail starts dropping, you'll find a few ledges where the benchmark is located, and that ledge has great views of Lake Champlain.
    We saw most of them and something way in the distance that may have been Washington or more likely Moosilaukee. (if I remember correctly, we were looking south of Camel's Hump. We couldn't see past the summit so a bit south of Camel's Hump was obscured and we could see left or right of Saddleback. The summit of Mansfield stayed cloud covered. Saw a bunch of the Lake but it also was obscured by the summit and Saddleback.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

  5. #5
    Moderator Peakbagr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Near the Adirondack Blue Line
    Posts
    3,796
    I think the ones who go to the true summit are working on the ADK100, want to also grab Saddleback, or know the actual top is not too far away. For most, they don't know or care as they're stunned by all the great views along the range and figure why bother with one more.
    Last edited by Peakbagr; 11-04-2021 at 05:07 PM.
    "The fact that going off the deep end appears
    to be a requisite to doing anything of consequence
    in this life has not escaped me." Jim Harrison

  6. #6
    Senior Member Mike P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colchester, CT
    Posts
    3,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Peakbagr View Post
    I think the ones who go to the true summit are working on the ADK100, want to also grab Saddleback, or know the actual top is not too far away. For most, they don't know or care as they're stunned but all the great views along the range and figure why bother with one more.
    We stopped at what appeared to be a climb down that looked harder than what I encountered on Cliff or the Chimney on Osceola. We stayed at the last bare knob (which is pretty large on it's own) for quite awhile and no one we saw went to the summit. If I go back with my son someday, he can go to the top.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

  7. #7
    Senior Member SpencerVT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Brattleboro, Vermont
    Posts
    346
    I think all three of these mountains are great - Jay, Slip (Ausable 3), and Saddleback.
    I understand why folks don’t hit the true summit of Jay, because you’re not gaining anything view-wise that you haven’t already seen on the ridge. However, I like going to the highest point.
    Both Slip and Saddleback have good views as well. I was able to climb Jay and whack those two in one long day.
    Jay is the gem of Adirondack peaks below 4,000’.
    Spencer
    Bigfoot

  8. #8
    Senior Member TCD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,989
    Quote Originally Posted by SpencerVT View Post
    I think all three of these mountains are great - Jay, Slip (Ausable 3), and Saddleback.
    I understand why folks don’t hit the true summit of Jay, because you’re not gaining anything view-wise that you haven’t already seen on the ridge. However, I like going to the highest point.
    Both Slip and Saddleback have good views as well. I was able to climb Jay and whack those two in one long day.
    Jay is the gem of Adirondack peaks below 4,000’.
    While you're there, make sure to take in Seventy Mountain and Bald Peak. Seldom visited, and spectacular.

  9. #9
    Senior Member SpencerVT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Brattleboro, Vermont
    Posts
    346
    Sounds intriguing, thanks for the tip!
    Spencer
    Bigfoot

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •