Jay Range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
How many people make it out to the actual summit? I was there Saturday and had a great day of views. That said, most groups we saw stopped at the last bare knob before the true summit, We looked and the drop down from where we were to the col didn't seem worth it for essentially the same views. I'll ask over on the ADK High Peaks Forum later.

I thought the summit was worth it, it was a beautiful day and we didn't want to leave. I regret not going over to Saddleback but that just means a return trip to Jay at some point.

I don't check this site that often, but I'll respond to this new post. The true summit of Jay offers views of the Green Mountains that you don't get on the rocky summit, and it's only about a 15-minute hike to that summit. If you continue on the herd path that heads for Saddleback for a few minutes and then cut left before the trail starts dropping, you'll find a few ledges where the benchmark is located, and that ledge has great views of Lake Champlain.

I don't check this site that often, but I'll respond to this new post. The true summit of Jay offers views of the Green Mountains that you don't get on the rocky summit, and it's only about a 15-minute hike to that summit. If you continue on the herd path that heads for Saddleback for a few minutes and then cut left before the trail starts dropping, you'll find a few ledges where the benchmark is located, and that ledge has great views of Lake Champlain.

We saw most of them and something way in the distance that may have been Washington or more likely Moosilaukee. (if I remember correctly, we were looking south of Camel's Hump. We couldn't see past the summit so a bit south of Camel's Hump was obscured and we could see left or right of Saddleback. The summit of Mansfield stayed cloud covered. Saw a bunch of the Lake but it also was obscured by the summit and Saddleback.

I think the ones who go to the true summit are working on the ADK100, want to also grab Saddleback, or know the actual top is not too far away. For most, they don't know or care as they're stunned by all the great views along the range and figure why bother with one more.

Last edited:
I think the ones who go to the true summit are working on the ADK100, want to also grab Saddleback, or know the actual top is not too far away. For most, they don't know or care as they're stunned but all the great views along the range and figure why bother with one more.

We stopped at what appeared to be a climb down that looked harder than what I encountered on Cliff or the Chimney on Osceola. We stayed at the last bare knob (which is pretty large on it's own) for quite awhile and no one we saw went to the summit. If I go back with my son someday, he can go to the top.

I think all three of these mountains are great - Jay, Slip (Ausable 3), and Saddleback.
I understand why folks don’t hit the true summit of Jay, because you’re not gaining anything view-wise that you haven’t already seen on the ridge. However, I like going to the highest point.
Both Slip and Saddleback have good views as well. I was able to climb Jay and whack those two in one long day.
Jay is the gem of Adirondack peaks below 4,000’.

I think all three of these mountains are great - Jay, Slip (Ausable 3), and Saddleback.
I understand why folks don’t hit the true summit of Jay, because you’re not gaining anything view-wise that you haven’t already seen on the ridge. However, I like going to the highest point.
Both Slip and Saddleback have good views as well. I was able to climb Jay and whack those two in one long day.
Jay is the gem of Adirondack peaks below 4,000’.

While you're there, make sure to take in Seventy Mountain and Bald Peak. Seldom visited, and spectacular.