Missing Hiker Ignoring Calls...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It easy for spammers to spoof area codes and phone numbers to trick the unwary. So call ID technology is widely available.

Maybe SARS calls should be identified as such on a recipient's phone. That way you know it's not the extended warranty guy calling again.

But wait.... what if the warranty guy begins spoofing as a SARS call? My god, it NEVER ends!!

I use Google Fi and it has a call screening function. I don't recognize the number, I press screen call and an automated message tells the caller to leave a voicemail. I get a lot of hangups. But, if I was lost, I'd tell the car warranty guy where to find me. He would track me down, I'd be saved and not have to pay for the rescue. Win-win?

I use Google Fi and it has a call screening function. I don't recognize the number, I press screen call and an automated message tells the caller to leave a voicemail. I get a lot of hangups. But, if I was lost, I'd tell the car warranty guy where to find me. He would track me down, I'd be saved and not have to pay for the rescue. Win-win?

No, but you'd probably have to buy the extended warranty from him before he's call SARS.

It has nothing to do with any car warranty, never did. The 'warranty' front is a ruse. The call is simply to keep your phone in the scam/spam call registry. You up date your number by responding to the call in ANY way. There is no way to stop this system, and I have missed important calls because I won't respond to unrecognized numbers. Search "warranty scam calls" the information is all there from credible sources. Big money made by everyone, but you.

It has nothing to do with any car warranty, never did. The 'warranty' front is a ruse. The call is simply to keep your phone in the scam/spam call registry. You up date your number by responding to the call in ANY way. There is no way to stop this system, and I have missed important calls because I won't respond to unrecognized numbers. Search "warranty scam calls" the information is all there from credible sources. Big money made by everyone, but you.

Wait, so you are telling me that the warranty offer they are selling me on my 15-year old car ISN'T real??

https://www.boston.com/news/nationa...escue-call-unknown-number/?p1=hp_featurestack

"If you're overdue according to your itinerary, and you start getting repeated calls from an unknown number, please answer the phone."

I mean, I get it. If I happen to be lost the last thing I want is a call about my expired automobile warranty, but maybe take the call just in case?

I don't understand this. The person who noticed their friend was overdue did not try to call the missing person? They called SAR first? Huh?

I love how the quickly the punditry swings from "look at all these hikers getting themselves in trouble because of their cell phones!" to "look at this stoopid hiker who didn't check their cell phone!"

I don't understand why the concerned friend didn't try calling the hiker first - or if they did and hiker didn't have enough of a signal to receive the call. Which then makes you wonder if the hiker really did ignore calls they didn't get? Or if the hiker didn't call for help, did they realize they were "lost"? Guessing that what actually happened makes for a far less entertaining/clickbait-y narrative.

I love how the quickly the punditry swings from "look at all these hikers getting themselves in trouble because of their cell phones!" to "look at this stoopid hiker who didn't check their cell phone!"

I don't understand why the concerned friend didn't try calling the hiker first - or if they did and hiker didn't have enough of a signal to receive the call. Which then makes you wonder if the hiker really did ignore calls they didn't get? Or if the hiker didn't call for help, did they realize they were "lost"? Guessing that what actually happened makes for a far less entertaining/clickbait-y narrative.

Maybe in this case the victim read the previous post about the hiker who did answer his phone and fell off a cliff doing so.

Not leaving any information eliminates all this aggravation. I'll just tie a note around my dogs neck, go boy, get help, run Shay run!!!!! haha, he would never leave me.