Expectations For A Hard Shell

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I though about suggesting that you contact Arteryx to see if your shell would be covered under Practical Product Lifespan warranty, but when I looked it up on Arcteryx web site ( https://arcteryx.com/us/en/help/limited-warranty ) I discovered that the definition of Practical Liefespan is so vague that I started wondering if it could be just 3 months if you are unlucky to reach a customer rep who is just having a bad day. Also, the list of exclusions is so comprehensive that I wonder what is actually covered.

Yes indeed. I'd rather be warm and wet than cold and wet. If nothing else the hard shell traps needed heat in foul weather. I do like the lightness of a shell versus heavy fleece or other garments too and the packability.

Sounds you are one step away from joining the Stephenson Warmlite VBL "cult". Warm and wet on purpose ;)

Years ago, we coined the term "boiler system" for the good "warm and wet" feeling when hiking. Early shells were not very breathable, so wetness was pretty much guaranteed if you were keeping any kind of pace up a hill.

Most of our early insulation (early 1980s) was wool. Mostly itchy rag wool, but warm when wet (and cheap!). Just carry an extra one, dry in a garbage bag in your pack, and change when you are heading downhill and not generating as much heat.

Love seeing wool make a comeback with the modern Merino garments! If you accept that you will be wet when keeping a good pace, you can be open to a lot more variation in shell performance.

Years ago, we coined the term "boiler system" for the good "warm and wet" feeling when hiking. Early shells were not very breathable, so wetness was pretty much guaranteed if you were keeping any kind of pace up a hill.

Most of our early insulation (early 1980s) was wool. Mostly itchy rag wool, but warm when wet (and cheap!). Just carry an extra one, dry in a garbage bag in your pack, and change when you are heading downhill and not generating as much heat.

Love seeing wool make a comeback with the modern Merino garments! If you accept that you will be wet when keeping a good pace, you can be open to a lot more variation in shell performance.

I have to say I went through a "wool phase" early on in my gear buying based on recommendations and I can't stand it for hiking. It holds moisture way too much and the notion that it retains its heat even when wet seems to depend pretty heavily on moving at a pretty good clip, at which point just about anything keeps you warm. As soon as you stop it's instant chill. I love wool around camp, for sleeping, etc. but do not use it when I'm doing anything that involves sweating. Apparently I'm in a very small minority on this but I don't like it at all.

Sounds you are one step away from joining the Stephenson Warmlite VBL "cult". Warm and wet on purpose ;)

I do use vapor barrier socks in Winter (my feet get cold really easily) and I also employ Mark Twight's technique of wearing a wicking base layer and Marmot precip shirt (the one with the thin fleece inner lining) as my base layers in Winter and layer insulation over it. It does keep you warm and sweaty at your core but it really keeps the insulating layers dry and I need less layers overall for the same comfort level. It works very well for me. I get cold pretty easy though so I need all the tweaks I can get in Winter.