Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Winter Hiking Season over before it started.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    A great exercise to strengthen the ankle is to stand on the injured leg for 60 seconds. Then rest n repeat.

You will find yourself using lots of small muscles and ligaments as you struggle to retain balance.

I did this at PT for my post op knee and eventually they had me doing it on an inflated pillow thingy. Very tiring and difficult about the third rep!

Obviously get the ok from PT before adding this into your program .
    You were two sessions early, the soft tissues are starting to function much better so its time for balance and getting my proprioceptors working. The balance test on the repaired ankle is pretty miserable. One of the many project management tools to make meetings short is to use the "one foot method" you can talk as long as you want as long as you are standing on one foot, I would be in big trouble if I had to talk much at one of those meetings. I am also now crutch or cane optional.

The bummer is the hardware on the inner ankle is limiting me to low cut shoes, anything higher and pressure in the area of the pins leads to swelling, I can tolerate it for a while but my guess it is an issue until they come out. Next ortho docs appointment is the end of the month. Nevertheless, its progress. Next goal is to start using my stair climber.

Appreciate the real-time updates. Encouraging progress. Keep on keeping on!

I "graduated" from PT today just about 3 months after the break. I still have quite a list of daily "homework" exercises to do but no more visits to the clinic (unless I need them). X Rays next week by the ortho doc. In no way do I represent myself as able to hike, I do have full range of motion but wearing any footwear or brace that applies pressure to the inner ankle "bump" causes swelling. Wearing low cut trail runners is less bad. Even with trail runners, a few laps around Walmart shopping and my ankle is telling me its time to take a break. I am alternating daily between my stair climber and an exercise bike. The plate and hardware on the outside of the leg is not really an issue. After the X-ray next week I will be talking to the ortho doc on options to get the screws out of the inside of the ankle in hopes that I can wear boots for a longer duration.

Peakbagger. You may get to see one of your Wildcat rescuers on WMUR's Chronicle tonight at 7 pm. At least I always assumed Kevin St. Gelais might likely be one of the workers who assisted you if he was still working there.

I was on the news 9 website this morning and was very surprised to see the image of the interior of a cabin in Gorham I am very familiar with, as Kevin is being interviewed for his custom ski making business. He has also worked for the state crew on Mt. Washington for years, and often makes the first ski tracks of the season up there.

My advice: stay out of the Ice Gulch!! Hoping for speedy recovery.

No Ice Gulch for awhile. I got up to my old pace on my daily walks around the neighborhood on pavement but when I go out in the woods with uncertain footing its a different story. The hardware on the outside of the leg is screwing up attempts to use ankle support , if I use high boots or a brace and tighten them up enough to get support, the hardware under the skin is concentrating the load on the skin above it leading to swelling. I am much better with trail runners. Hardware removal could be done in June but requires a month of downtime so it may get delayed until late September. I will go month by month and weigh the pros and cons.

Funny but I am blanking out most of the folks involved with my rescue, I think I was focused on staying conscious.

I was re-reading your initial synopsis. Crazy things happen in the blink of an eye sometimes. I'm glad to hear your recovery continues to go as well as could be hoped (as far as I can tell). Kudos to you for staying after it.

I had a bad ski crash mid-season. Not a particularly difficult trail, but very bad conditions - this was the weekend after it rained 2" in the mountains. Snowing hard, poor visibility, an inch of fluff on top of boiler plate. One second skiing, next second I'm launched sideways into the air and then body-slammed onto the concrete under the fluff. It was shockingly painful. That's the only word I can think of to describe it. I was lying on the ground thinking I might need to throw up. But somehow I didn't break anything (though I still can't sleep on my right side). I should have been concussed or ripped out a shoulder or broken a hip or blown out knee ligaments. Just lucky. But I know 45 is about the age where that kind of luck stops working.
    Sure. Why not.

I went for my first post ankle break hike today up to Lookout Ledge in Randolph. Not a long one but made it up and down. No issues with the ankle but using the poles consistently coming down definitely slowed down the pace. It will be interesting to see how things feel in the AM.

Hope your recovery is going well!! Looking forward to your trip reports hopefully soon...

I got my first 4K in today right under the wire of my 6 month anniversary. A fine day for Moosilaukee, although it was up and back via Gorge Brook trail as recent trail reports are that the Carraige Road is posthole city.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I got my first 4K in today right under the wire of my 6 month anniversary. A fine day for Moosilaukee, although it was up and back via Gorge Brook trail as recent trail reports are that the Carraige Road is posthole city.
    Great news!! One hike at a time.
    Don't let your mind write a check your body canít cash

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    That's great!! I'm four months post op from bi lateral partial knee replacements and I'm looking forward to my first 4,000 footer next month with new knees!