Winter Hiking Season over before it started.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Chris, the fleet is parked for the winter so no way to move the snowblower;)

PB010289.jpg

Unimog's will go anywhere but Unimog's of this vintage really do not deal well with road salt so I park them. The cab floors are 3' off the ground so I dont think I could get up in one until I have fully functional ankle.

Peakbagger, l'm late to the party, but come with well-wishes for your recovery. Like ChrisB, I'm in awe of the system you've engineered to allow you the movement you want / need as you heal. Happy holidays to you.

Three days and counting to next Xray and hopefully a release to put weight on it. I got snowblowing my 250 foot long driveway down, just put on plenty of warm clothes and mittens to keep my fingers warm to compensate for the extended time it takes. I also have been reloading my wood supply from outside stacks to my bulkhead and keeping the daily indoor wood boiler runs on track (I expect tomorrow will require and extra run).

I have been researching plate removal. Lots of differing opinions on if and when to remove. For older sedentary folks its a non issue, leave it in unless its painful. For active individuals, its less clear. Ankle plates are higher likelihood of irritation from hardware. I can feel the top of my plate and the top most fastener quite easily through the skin. Internal irritation can pop up when least wanted, like a backpacking trip. I need to investigate a lateral ankle brace and it needs to clear the hardware or it is a potential source of irritation. Some docs advise early removal in 6 months, others 1 year. Both cases, its 4 weeks immobilization for the scars to heal. Unlike Terminator, the hardware is there to keep the bones together while healing, rather than acting as long term substitution of a bone like a knee or hip. The longer the wait, the harder the hardware may be to take out as bone can try to bond to the fasteners and plate. Generally, folks waiting more than year can have more complications during and after surgery as the hardware removal can be more difficult (larger scars and bones growing into hardware. Most removals after a year are due to a result of inflammation issues which usually get better post removal but not all the time. The other aspect is removal may be classified as elective surgery by default unless doctor can make a case for it.

Sorry to hear about your accident (a little late, but hopefully better late than never). As you know, I pulled a similar stunt a number of years ago... (Broken hip, distal femur, and wrist, all stabilized with metal.)

I had my hip screws removed--they weren't causing any trouble but I was worried about what might happen if I fell on the hip again. (Nothing like bent metal in a broken bone...)

The rod (technical name "nail") in the distal femur is still there, but the screws at the knee end were removed. The nail is not a problem and removing it would unnecessarily damage the knee.

The docs also installed a plate in my wrist which is still there. I was told it could be removed after a time (don't recall how long) if it caused irritation. It occasionally hurts a bit which I can cure by massaging the area, but it is not really a problem (but of course, I don't have a boot rubbing on it). There is some loss of range of motion but I don't know if I can blame that on the plate.

Hopefully the above is of some use to you. If you have any questions, ask or PM away.

Doug

As of this morning I am back on two feet. But now I am booked for 6 weeks of Physical Therapy. My ankle and foot definitely has lost range of motion. Still nice to be able to drive and shuffle along. The doc was impressed on how well the clean break on the fibia has healed up. The crack on the end of the Tibia is not healed 100% but progressing. I will be talking more about the schedule for removal at the next ortho docs appointment.

As of this morning I am back on two feet. But now I am booked for 6 weeks of Physical Therapy. My ankle and foot definitely has lost range of motion. Still nice to be able to drive and shuffle along. The doc was impressed on how well the clean break on the fibia has healed up. The crack on the end of the Tibia is not healed 100% but progressing. I will be talking more about the schedule for removal at the next ortho docs appointment.

From my experience of two total knee replacements and one total shoulder replacement it takes a year or more to get back to normal. In my shoulder case it took two years to reach the expected results and I work with my hands and body in my trade which moved it along. Quite pleased with all the results but I did my therapy then some. Folks who do do the therapy and then some always have issues afterwords and blame it on the surgeon.

The PT seems to be going well. Starting to get a gait back but I definitely need a lot of buildup of the soft tissues. My ankle is starting to loosen up. I am cleared for my exercise bike so I can start getting some aerobic exercise. Walking flat and level is not bad but add in uneven snow pack and I have a while to go. One screwhead is making itself known on occasion, I will give it awhile but it may be candidate for early removal.

Next week is a work day trip down to Worcester for a client visit so that will be good test.

Last edited:
A great exercise to strengthen the ankle is to stand on the injured leg for 60 seconds. Then rest n repeat.

You will find yourself using lots of small muscles and ligaments as you struggle to retain balance.

I did this at PT for my post op knee and eventually they had me doing it on an inflated pillow thingy. Very tiring and difficult about the third rep!

Obviously get the ok from PT before adding this into your program .

A great exercise to strengthen the ankle is to stand on the injured leg for 60 seconds. Then rest n repeat.

You will find yourself using lots of small muscles and ligaments as you struggle to retain balance.

I did this at PT for my post op knee and eventually they had me doing it on an inflated pillow thingy. Very tiring and difficult about the third rep!

Free medical advice on the Internet. You usually get what you pay for... :rolleyes:

I am definitely following the PT Docs recommendations for 13 more sessions and avoiding outside advice, except to do the work. I have seen a lot of improvement in a couple of sessions. I just hope I do not have to put it on hold to get a screw removed. At least I do not have limits on exercise bike use. I did step on my stair climber the other day and it's pretty obvious that I am not ready for it.

I didn't break anything, but had an epidural abscess and a double laminectomy in November, 6 weeks of IV antibiotics after the surgery and will be discharged by my Home Health PT next week. Doing the work is key--I got out of the house this week and made the steps back in look easy. The more you do, the more you CAN do.

You were two sessions early, the soft tissues are starting to function much better so its time for balance and getting my proprioceptors working. The balance test on the repaired ankle is pretty miserable. One of the many project management tools to make meetings short is to use the "one foot method" you can talk as long as you want as long as you are standing on one foot, I would be in big trouble if I had to talk much at one of those meetings;). I am also now crutch or cane optional.

The bummer is the hardware on the inner ankle is limiting me to low cut shoes, anything higher and pressure in the area of the pins leads to swelling, I can tolerate it for a while but my guess it is an issue until they come out. Next ortho docs appointment is the end of the month. Nevertheless, its progress. Next goal is to start using my stair climber.

Appreciate the real-time updates. Encouraging progress. Keep on keeping on!

I "graduated" from PT today just about 3 months after the break. I still have quite a list of daily "homework" exercises to do but no more visits to the clinic (unless I need them). X Rays next week by the ortho doc. In no way do I represent myself as able to hike, I do have full range of motion but wearing any footwear or brace that applies pressure to the inner ankle "bump" causes swelling. Wearing low cut trail runners is less bad. Even with trail runners, a few laps around Walmart shopping and my ankle is telling me its time to take a break. I am alternating daily between my stair climber and an exercise bike. The plate and hardware on the outside of the leg is not really an issue. After the X-ray next week I will be talking to the ortho doc on options to get the screws out of the inside of the ankle in hopes that I can wear boots for a longer duration.

Peakbagger. You may get to see one of your Wildcat rescuers on WMUR's Chronicle tonight at 7 pm. At least I always assumed Kevin St. Gelais might likely be one of the workers who assisted you if he was still working there.

I was on the news 9 website this morning and was very surprised to see the image of the interior of a cabin in Gorham I am very familiar with, as Kevin is being interviewed for his custom ski making business. He has also worked for the state crew on Mt. Washington for years, and often makes the first ski tracks of the season up there.