Winter Hiking Season over before it started.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Well so much for a quick hike. I did a quick hike up Wildcat today. A few ski patrol folks passed me in an ATV heading to the top. They were still there when I headed down. Conditions were not icy and I was walking down a grassy slope when I stumbled and something really didnt feel right. I stumbled and looked down and saw my right foot facing right and my leg not lining up with the ankle. I was definitely not walking down with assistance. So time to get the cell out and call 911. I gave clear instructions to the 911 operator but she was confused on my location, she could not decide if I was in Jackson or Gorham. eventually got handed off to Gorham dispatch and went through the same discussion with the 911 operator in the background. They kept trying to locate me on the Wildcat Ridge trail as they did not have Polecat trail, I asked them to get Fish and Game on the line and eventually got Officer Lucas (one of the TV stars). I explained to him where I was and let him know I was less than 50' from the truck road to the top. He asked if he could drive his truck up. I explained probably no need as there were two ski patrol folks in an ATV on top. He called them and they headed down. While they were headed down a few hikers stopped and said the ski patrol folks were just behind me. Turns out they work on the Gorham and Jackson ambulance crews. They assessed it and did a creative job mobilizing it. Next thing was the challenge of getting in the ATV without putting any weight on the ankle. Then a long bumpy drive down. They did let me self administer two Advils I had in my pack. They helped a bit.

Then it was ride by ambulance to AVH. I was tad bit shocky on occasion. I got to AVH and they got me right in. Once they got the boot off and a doctor walked in his eyes got real big. He elected to call a anesthesiologist to knock me out (same dose as a colonoscopy). He brought in some reinforcements and I was out. When I woke up the ankle was straight and wrapped up. They then took an XRay and the bottom clubs on both sides were broken. I was sent home as they do not have orthodoc on call and a script for Percoset if needed with the recommendation to use OTC drugs. The doctor was amazed that I was not in more pain.

So now its wait until Monday and I expect some surgery to get things in the right place.

I had paid up my Hike Safe card but not sure if there will be rescue bill as officer Lucas did it all by phone.

Wow, that sucks! Get well soon!

Ski Patrollers have mostly just completed our annual first aid refresher, so everyone is fresh on their immobilization and transport skills. Good outcome so far. I wish you the best!

Tom

They do not do a lot of ankles anymore, only one last year, mostly knees and shoulders. Still they had to get creative to stabilize it due to the odd angle.

Peakbagger,

So sorry to hear about this! Hang in there, stay positive! Fell off Chocorua in 2019 (standing, enjoying a view) and did a real number on myself. First Memorial then a Dartmouth-Hitchcock transfer at 2 A.M. for surgeries.

Have faith in KNOWING you will HEAL. You'll be back before you know it!

Had a Hike Safe card too - no rescue bill. Even if you were negligent, which I highly doubt, the card covers.

Let us know how you are progressing.

All the best, Cliff

You fooled me on this one. Thought it was going to be a post about how the fresh snow had already melted with yet another warm up. Sorry to hear the news. I suspect we're all going to be very well informed on a wide variety of local topics this Winter with you sidelined for a bit and in front of the keyboard. :)

Good luck with the follow ups and the rehabs.

Sorry to hear. Shi# happens. I'm sure your not surprised it was your turn. If one stay's out there long enough either in the woods or ocean it'll happen. This is why I carry a ResQlink PLB with us on all hikes or while traveling back roads anywhere in usa. And extra clothes to wait out the rescue.

Oh no! You've had quite a year, haven't you?!
It sounds like your incident could have happened to anyone. That's great that the ATV was close by.
I hope everything goes well with the potential surgery and upcoming rehab.
Hang in there!

Wow. Very sorry to hear that PB. How long does something like that take to heal?

Always appreciate hearing of first-person accounts of issues that can happen to experienced hikers. It's not always the jeans and sneakers crowd that get in trouble. I can vouch for that.

Hope you heal well and get back soon.

Always appreciate hearing of first-person accounts of issues that can happen to experienced hikers. It's not always the jeans and sneakers crowd that get in trouble. I can vouch for that.

Hope you heal well and get back soon.

Truth! The number of near-misses I have had is stunning...and frightening.

Peakbagger, wishing you a speedy recovery!

The only piece of gear that I was missing was a small foam pad.. I have one but at some point it got taken out of the pack. I sat on my pack which made getting warmer layers out a PITA. I had plenty of top layers and extra heavy duty bottoms but no way could I pull them over my ankle. I even had microspikes in the pack but no need to use them.

The only piece of gear that I was missing was a small foam pad.. I have one but at some point it got taken out of the pack. I sat on my pack which made getting warmer layers out a PITA. I had plenty of top layers and extra heavy duty bottoms but no way could I pull them over my ankle. I even had microspikes in the pack but no need to use them.

Bummer PB. So sorry to hear this. I’ve read that a break can be easier to recover from than a bad sprain. Hope that’s the case with yours.

Just curious: what footwear were you using?

May you mend well and fully my friend.

That's a tough one PB. Sorry to hear that. It takes time but you will heal up and probably be back on the trails by spring if you pay due diligence to your PT.
Good luck and keep posting. You're my go-to source for northern NH info.

That really stinks! I am sorry, Peakbagger, and wish you the speediest and most full recovery.

Regarding the extra-heavy-duty bottoms and your inability to don them, this has always been my fear with regard to non-full-side-zip pants for insulation and shell layers. This is good information to have for those of us looking at purchasing those layers.