Winter Hiking Season over before it started.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Ice Gulch for awhile. I got up to my old pace on my daily walks around the neighborhood on pavement but when I go out in the woods with uncertain footing its a different story. The hardware on the outside of the leg is screwing up attempts to use ankle support , if I use high boots or a brace and tighten them up enough to get support, the hardware under the skin is concentrating the load on the skin above it leading to swelling. I am much better with trail runners. Hardware removal could be done in June but requires a month of downtime so it may get delayed until late September. I will go month by month and weigh the pros and cons.

Funny but I am blanking out most of the folks involved with my rescue, I think I was focused on staying conscious.

I was re-reading your initial synopsis. Crazy things happen in the blink of an eye sometimes. I'm glad to hear your recovery continues to go as well as could be hoped (as far as I can tell). Kudos to you for staying after it.

I had a bad ski crash mid-season. Not a particularly difficult trail, but very bad conditions - this was the weekend after it rained 2" in the mountains. Snowing hard, poor visibility, an inch of fluff on top of boiler plate. One second skiing, next second I'm launched sideways into the air and then body-slammed onto the concrete under the fluff. It was shockingly painful. That's the only word I can think of to describe it. I was lying on the ground thinking I might need to throw up. But somehow I didn't break anything (though I still can't sleep on my right side). I should have been concussed or ripped out a shoulder or broken a hip or blown out knee ligaments. Just lucky. But I know 45 is about the age where that kind of luck stops working.

I went for my first post ankle break hike today up to Lookout Ledge in Randolph. Not a long one but made it up and down. No issues with the ankle but using the poles consistently coming down definitely slowed down the pace. It will be interesting to see how things feel in the AM.

I got my first 4K in today right under the wire of my 6 month anniversary. A fine day for Moosilaukee, although it was up and back via Gorge Brook trail as recent trail reports are that the Carraige Road is posthole city.

I got my first 4K in today right under the wire of my 6 month anniversary. A fine day for Moosilaukee, although it was up and back via Gorge Brook trail as recent trail reports are that the Carraige Road is posthole city.

Great news!! One hike at a time.

That's great!! I'm four months post op from bi lateral partial knee replacements and I'm looking forward to my first 4,000 footer next month with new knees!